Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
July 31st 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.33, 114.18

Today was another full day of touring and running from sight to sight to try to get in as much as possible before the ship sailed. We started with a bus ride to Kowloon Public Pier for a cruise in Victoria Harbour with views of high-rise buildings all around. The boat passed by many waterfront areas continuing on to Eastern Harbour.

After leaving that boat, we returned to the bus for a trip to Victoria Peak Tram station. It goes up about 1,800 feet to see views of Victoria Harbour, Kowloon Peninsula, and Hong Kong Island. All quite lovely. Along the way on the tram, there seemed to be several places that looked like bus stops. We wondered if anyone could take the tram just part of the way up since there were lots of homes along the way. We never stopped though, so I don't know. We were met at the top of the peak by our tour bus and rode it down rather than taking the tram back.

Next stop on the tour was what was billed as a jewelry factory. However, we never saw the factory part, just the showroom. When the group arrived, we were
Breakfast on the BalconyBreakfast on the BalconyBreakfast on the Balcony

The Internet access was almost non-existent on the ship. Although they promised access, if slow, we never were successful in any sustained access. We took the opportunity when we were in port to use our cells to check email and text the kids.
ushered into a tiny room with a television screen and shown a short movie about their products and the history of the business. Then we were given guest badges to wear while in the store and moved there as a group. The showroom is beautiful, elegant, clean, and well-stocked. I was disappointed that we did not get to see the jewelry being created. As it was, we were not interested in buying anything, but looked around a bit. When we were ready to leave, it was hard to find the exit. None of the outside walls of the room seemed to have doors. We realized that they were concealed with hidden hinges and painted the same color as the walls so they blended in perfectly. The tour guide pointed out the exit, and we left to find the bus. I don't think the fire marshal that visits my school from time to time would approve.

Finally, it was time for lunch. We took the bus to another boat dock and got on a boat shuttle to go to the Jumbo Floating Restaurant for a superb dim sum lunch. After lunch we had one more boat ride. Rather than taking the boat shuttle back, we got on a sampan for another ride through the harbor. Our boat driver pointed out house boats and fishing boats, but that's all. I think that was all she knew of English, well, and the word 'No.' When one of the other guests started to take her photo, she said "No," and pushed a tip bucket at him. Knowing what to do now, I put some cash in the bucket and pointed at my camera. She nodded her assent.

The last stop of the day was at Stanley Market, a huge market with many levels and a winding, confusing arrangement of stalls. We did find a nice fruit stand on the outer fringe of the market. I was looking forward to having some mangosteen, and my Taiwanese co-worker suggested we have guava and mango, too. We found all three at this Hong Kong market. The guava was hard and bright green and did not look like it would be ripe for a long time. When I asked the seller when I could eat it, she said, "Tomorrow." I was really skeptical so I asked our tour guide, and he looked and it and said the same thing, "Tomorrow." Okay.

I asked for his suggestion on how to eat the mangosteen, and he just put his thumbs and all the fingers on each hand together at the tips pointing upward and squeezed. I was so surprised that was all it would take. When we had some mangosteen at home (that were not nearly as good), I sliced into them from the side to try to make the little top cap come off, but it was just a mess. When we got back to the ship, I tried his technique and it worked beautifully. The thick skin split easily so that I could tear it away exposing the beautiful, milky-white flesh inside. They are melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

We sailed away from Hong Kong during dinner, which for us is always at 5:45. A little early, but the other choice of seating seemed too late at 7:45. After dinner we went to the production show in the Princess Theatre to see Landon Swank, the highest ranking illusionist in the history of America's Got Talent. It was an entertaining show, but we had a couple of the illusions figured out pretty easily.




Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Hmmm?  Not the Same as the One at HomeHmmm?  Not the Same as the One at Home
Hmmm? Not the Same as the One at Home

The Peak Tram at home goes up Sandia Peak. It's twin gondolas that traverse back and forth opposite each other. The one on Victoria Peak is more like a cable car or funicular on tracks.


Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb