Tiger Leaping Gorge-deepest gorge in the world


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
September 12th 2006
Published: September 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The weather was miserable so when we got to the bus stn they told us that there would be no other bus today due to the rain!!! Luckily we hooked up with this chinese couple and shared a minibus to Qiaotao (about 2 hrs.) Stopped off at Jane's for some info, they're really friendly. I thought I was talking to Jane. Afterwards Eoghan commented that that was the gayest chinese person he had met so ???

Started walking about 12.45. It's quite wet here also but not cold. Could see the river to the right-like molten chocolate. We got to Naxi guesthouse in 1:20h and had lunch there. It's really pleasant and the food is fine. Continued up the 28 bends, this part is uphill so a good workout but not that difficult. It takes about 1 hr to reach the highest point from where you can see the lower tiger leaping stone (2670m). We couldn't see a thing because it was so overcast so we continued on.

The 2nd part of the hike is wonderful....going thru tree and bamboo 1st, then out walking along the cliffside. Incredible views of the gorge and the raging Yangtze below, which is k.a Golden Sands River in these parts. Reached Halfway House in about 2hrs and got a fantastic little room (40yuan) looking out over the gorge. This is the highlight of the trip. Staying here is a must. They have an adorable little terrace where you can while away the hrs marvelling at the view. The food is delicious and cheap and the people are friendly.

Next day we lazed over breakfast and reluctantly left at 10. Walked along the rocky path, passed a waterfall and all the time had a good view down to the gorge beow. The last part is downhill to the Walnut Grove. It take about 2 hrs. Most pople stop at Tina's because it's large and at the end of the hill. We walked on further to Sean's which has a nice little beer garden and great food. The dumplings are yum. They could be friendlier tho, they are a little reticent to chat to you.

From here we hiked down to the ruver side to get a feel for the power of the water....it is frightening. Lay on a rock down there for while listening to the water. The track down is thru corn fields, thru trees and then along by the cliff above the water. It's really cool. Apparently the locals sting you for a 10yuan charge for the path upkeep....however no-one was there when we were down there. Dinner was really good at Sean's and were enjoying the beats on the stereo in the terrace when there was a power cut so that cut our eve a bit short.

The hike down from the gorge is long. It's 3 hrs to the ferry, mostly along the road and then cutting across fields. At least it is downhill. That's the advantage of starting at Qiaotou and ending at Daju----more downhill. The ferryman charged us 15 yuan each to cross the yangtze, all of 2 mins but he wouldnt move til we paid him so you don't have any choice. Thought about throwing his mule overboard but that would have been a bit too nasty. We thought we would have to go another hr to Daju and get the local bus back but thankfully some guy was at the ferryside offering us his minibus so for 30 each we jumped at the chance.

Totally recommend this trip.....Spectacular



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb