Cycling


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
August 25th 2006
Published: September 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We finally decided to join the masses and cycle around the city for the day. The bikes lanes are great-they're a car width. The chinese, just like in Dublin, cycle around at snail's pace. When we asked one person about this, we were told that westerners cycle for exercise and chinese cycle for transport. They also cycle complete crocks so not much scope for speed. My chain fell off twice in the short period. They do have great front baskets tho and some have electric bikes (rather dangerous as are completely silent!)

Cycling is the best way to get around central Beijing but you need to look out for these insane bus and taxi drivers who turn right on a red, straight thru the ped crossing and bike lanes. Very dangerous...you have to stop as they just don't see you. Life is cheap in China!!

The rickshaws are a blessing tho on a rainy night where they can nip down any alley, their legs turning ninety, their slip-on shoes and white socks getting wet and dirty while you are safe and sound under the plastic sheeting behind.

Visited Confucius Temple which unfortunately is under construction. There's a sign up saying that there will be no refunds. I'd say alot of people were disgusted with the extent of the work. In most other countries the place would be closed. Here you just walk under the scaffolding and red tape and peer in at the sleeping chinese workmen

From there cycled along a few hutongs to Yonghe Gong Temple, Beijing's most signigicant Tibetan temple. It became a lamasery in 1744 for Tibetan and Mongolian monks. It was here that they used choose the mongolian living Buddha. It's a beautiful complex of many pavilions and numerous buddhas. Many buddhists here lighting huge bunches of about 50 incense sticks and bowing profusely in front of the images which included one 18m tall Buddha.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb