Sunday - bullet train to Yangzhou


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
September 13th 2014
Published: September 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We had to be in reception at 8.30am to meet our new guide Jim. There would only be 4 of us completing the final legs of the journey, Bhavisha, Stuart and Nitzan and I As all the rest of the group,were heading home or onward travels. We nipped into the boys dorm and said our goodbyes and good lucks etc and then when Jim arrived we headed out to the train station. There was yet another tube journey, this one as long as the one we had when we arrived in Shanghai to the train station. We were scheduled to take the bullet train to Yangzhou which would get us there around 7.30pm in the evening.



The train station and the train was busy with people heading home to friends and family for the Moon Festival which is held in Autumn on the longest moon cycle in the Chinese calendar. The train journey was none eventful apart from the lady who did not want our ruck sacks on her suitcase, the rather hot train despite having AC, and the guy in front of us who kept insisting on clearing his throat and sounded like he was going to hock a loogie which is the done thing here along with spitting! Disgusting habits!!!! it's the most irritating noise here and also India!



We got off the train and our driver Liu (pronounce Lou) was waiting for us and we had a journey of around 2 hours to get to our accommodation. Originally we were supposed to be camping on the second night at a tea plantation but as they were doing construction work there we were not able to go. Instead we stayed at the home of Liu and his family for both nights.



The mini bus had a video screen and we were able to watch music dvd's, popular bands were Bruno Mars and the Back street boys (my faves lol) which made the journey pass more quickly. Along the way we stopped for dinner at a local restaurant as we were all hungry as we only had snacks during the time on the train.



We arrived at our destination, a quiet village nestled in the hills. We go to our rooms and then we were asked to join Liu outside for some beers and nuts (no charge) which was very sweet and hospitable of him. I called it a night around midnight, had a quick shower and then bed.



Xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.1109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb