The Old Han of Ji Chang Tu


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 15th 2013
Published: April 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody,

Around 600 years ago, a region in China just outside Kaili had a rebellion: they wanted to break away from the Han Empire. The Emperor sent in the military. The soldiers married the local women and today the descendants form this community. In many ways, not much has changed in 600 years.

Enjoy the pictures.



再见

Donna


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

IMG_1359IMG_1359
IMG_1359

The women wear robes of purple, pink or blue with wide black belts. An unmarried woman wears her hair in a ponytail.
IMG_1371IMG_1371
IMG_1371

A married woman wears a white turban-type head covering. She is conveying to her husband that she will love him until her hair turns white. The woman wears a black turban when she becomes a grandmother. If the foreheads look high, it is because as part of the pre-wedding preparations, she has the hair above her forehead pulled out .
IMG_1370IMG_1370
IMG_1370

Many of the young people have left the village to find work. The older generation enjoys a quiet life.
IMG_1373IMG_1373
IMG_1373

This village was built as a fortress. High walls, narrow alleyways and very small windows.
IMG_1374IMG_1374
IMG_1374

This is one of the oldest buildings. Notice the passageway that connects the two buildings. The buildings are limestone and the mortar was sticky rice mixed with clay.
IMG_1392IMG_1392
IMG_1392

The traditional dance is a carry over from military origins. It is very loud and aggressive to scare the enemy. They wear a black covering over their faces with a mask on top. White mask was the bad guy, red was short tempered, blue was sneaky, black was brave.
IMG_1405IMG_1405
IMG_1405

These embroidered shoes were worn by the women when the men were off doing battle. They would sew blades in the pointed toes to protect themselves by kicking any invaders.


18th April 2013

Hair
I find it fascinating that the hair tells such a wonderful story in the lives of these women. Expression is such an amazing thing and can be conveyed in so many ways.
19th April 2013

Great pictures today. Sitting in Tokyo waiting for flight to home sweet home. Thanks for the great company and laughter.
19th April 2013

Hi Donna
Am enjoying your emails and photos of china. Wish I were there to see these things in person. Looks like you are having a really good time.Talk to you when you get back and hope to see more photos of the places you visited. take care Silvana

Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0981s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb