Torugart pass to China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
July 8th 2012
Published: July 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was quite a day. We left Tash Rabat at 5 a.m. As we drove up towards the pass the sun rose behind us. At the Krgyzstan border Rod and Sophie were interviewed by the border officials. I think there may be sensitivity becauseif the anniversary of the 2009 riots. The next chapter of the adventure was in the 12 km stretch of no man's land between the Krgyz exit point and the Chinesecheck point. At one spot the road was falling apart and a large Volvo truck coming in the opposite direction got stuck on the passable side of the road just as we were about to cross. While the Volvo was stuck Tom made a valiant effort to take Aziza round on the bad side. This involved using the sand ramps and road construction by digging turf. It was not successful and Aziza had to be dug out andreversed. By this time the Volvo had been towed out. After more road construction we successfully crossed the problem stretch. The next stop was a full bag searchby the Chinese officials at their check point. They even reviewed the photos on my I pad. Three hours later we reached the Chinese customs point for. Ore bag checking. Arrival time in Kashgar was 7 p.m. Beijing time. Dinner was a definite change from the central Asian fare, spicy Sichuan food.

Advertisement



11th July 2012

I am reading and watching. Do keep writing!
13th July 2012

Hi Mark, Next installment coming soon.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0584s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb