Zhengzhou City


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
China's flag
Asia » China
June 1st 2012
Saved: April 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Shanghai-Zhengzhou




Zhengzhou City



We went to visit Bai’s uncle at Zhengzhou City for two weeks. According to Wikipedia Zhengzhou City is “the capital and largest city of Henan province in north-central China.” Although the city has over ten million chinos, it’s relatively small –in Chinese terms of course.

Train Trip

We took a train to get to Zhengzhou City. We left Shanghai around 8 a.m.; it took us over seven hours to get there. I have read horror stories about the train in China; however my experience traveling on the train wasn’t as bad as I though. Actually, it was very comfortable: I had a lot of space to stretch my legs, I could walk in the aisle, and the ticket was pretty cheap. Also, there were squats and toilets as well. Bai’s mom brought a lot of food so we ate a lot and we watched movies on our laptops. Bai’s mom discovered the fruit ninja game on my iPhone so she played with my phone until the battery died.

Welcome to Zhengzhou

Around 4 p.m. we arrived to Zhengzhou City. Bai’s family at Zhengzhou is very easy going, humble, and friendly. Most of them looked at me very curious and tried to speak to me using a few English words and forcing their children to practice their English with me. The first night there, we went to a restaurant where I met the whole familia--lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, a grand-aunt and a grand-uncle.

When Bai told them I was Mexican, they seem to be very excited and they wanted to cook spicy food for us (Bai didn’t look very happy to hear that). They also talked about a Mexican movie called “Yesenia” which I have never heard of it before and they kept asking if I could use the chopsticks. Since I’m the first “outsider” in the family, they had a lot of questions about me. Most of the time, they wonder whether I like China or not, I usually answered very polite and I explained them that I enjoy the food but I can’t handle the squats.

The next day, we hanged out with the family in the grand-uncle’s house. Bai’s grand-uncle told us stories about the Japanese attacking China in WWII. He told us how Bai’ grandpa survived the war and about a horse that saved his life several times. The family showed us pictures of Bai’s ancestors, and Bai definitely looks like his grandpa, although his grandpa used to have more hair than Bai.

I’m not crazy but everybody is looking at me!

In Shanghai, I’m used to people looking at Bai and me. We are a strange couple here in China. Most of the Laowai-Chinese couples are between a Chinese girl and a white dude (typically an old white man), but it’s rare to see the other way around. However, in Zhengzhou, people didn’t look at me—they stare at me. There are not many foreigners in Zhengzhou City (I didn’t see one in my whole stay there), so I assume that they have never see a big eye walking down the streets. First I thought it was funny but then it became very annoying and uncomfortable. Bai said that I should feel like a celebrity, but more than celebrity I felt like a monkey that escaped from the zoo.



Yellow River, Shan Shan Gan Guildhall, and Emperor’s Palace

The Shan-Shan-Gan Guildhall is a fancy business club built during the Qing dynasty located in a city called Kaifeng. It has the
spicy!spicy!spicy!

Don't go to the bathroom if Bai went before you :S
typical Chinese architecture with red-gold dragons, flowers, and birds. The guild hall has a main floor, a bell tower, and a spirit wall. We played with the bell, took pictures with the kids, and listen to Bai’s uncle’s stories.

The same day we went to an emperor’s palace. The Emperor’s Palace was like a big temple and for what I remembered, the owners of the temple were two families that they didn’t like each other and a lake divided them. We walked around and again took pictures of the gardens and the golden chair (Emperor’s chair). Bai considers that the emperors wasted too much time building the temple and forgot to spend their money wisely in their people and army. I guess that’s why there are not many emperors around anymore.

The next week we went to the Yellow River.

The Yellow River is the second longest river in China. And well, it’s big and yellow. When we went there, it was really cold and windy. We didn’t stay there for very long, but we took some pictures and we listened to a few stories about the river. During the WWII, the Nationalist troops broke the dams to hold back the Japanese invaders, but instead, the big flood killed a lot of Chinese civilians and the Japanese took over Wuhan anyway.

Although, it has been a while since WWII, China is still upset about what Japan did during the war. I asked Bai why Chinos don’t get over that. He said is because Japan never really apologized and they denied a lot of the horrible things they did. So, if you want to piss off the Chinese, just tell them that they look Japanese. You will regret this.

A Tragic Diarrhea

In the second week, we went to visit Bai’s uncle’s paper firm. He was busy doing some work so one of his employees took us to a Brazilian barbecue restaurant.

The place was something like Fogo de Shao, but a shitty version. The employees were rude, and the food was okay. They had a salad and a sushi bar. They had American country music, I’m not sure why, and the waitress wore cowboy clothes. We were hungry so we ate there without complaining much, but I guess it was the biggest mistake ever!

About three hours later, I started to feel pain in my stomach. I told Bai, but Bai didn’t pay too much attention. I’m not going to go into details but an hour later, I had diarrhea (there were only squats!), and by the time we walked down the streets I started to puke like the girl in the exorcist movie. Everybody was looking at me; I just could imagine people’s thinking “oh look over there! The laowai is sick!” I was so embarrassed. On the way home, I throw up again, and at home I kept throwing up until 3 a.m.

Bai’s family thought it was funny that the laowai got sick. I was kind of upset, but I didn’t say much. The next day, Bai started to feel bad and yes, he got sick too. We were alone at Bai’s uncle place, so I could only give him water and sat next to him. When Bai fell asleep, his uncle came and I showed him a little draw I made explaining that Bai was sick. He laughed, and he and his wife came with medicine for Bai. Bai was such a cry baby. I didn’t complaint that much when I was sick and I had a worse reaction than he did. But anyway, men don’t know what real pain is.

Back to shanghai

We couldn’t stay any longer in Zhengzhou because a company was calling Bai for a job interview (and yes! He got the job!). So, a few days later, we took the train back and we said Zaijian to my new family.

They were very nice after all, and well besides the diarrhea, it was a great experience.

And this is a short story about Bai’s grandpa. Enjoy!

The boy and the horse

The boy was only seventeen when he ran away from death. A tall and strong youngster, who didn’t know what love was or what was behind the trees around the village. His food, his family, and his home were the only things he knew. He was good at sports, if not, the best in the town, with bright eyes and innocent laugh he would play basketball until the dusk.

A spring day, during the years of war, he went home late with an uneasy feeling in his stomach; he suddenly realized that the nightmare of war became true when he witnessed the Japanese troops attacking the village. The boy had to run away from the fire and the screams leaving everything behind. He could sense the Japanese soldiers; they followed him like wolves sniffing for his blood. His two best friends ran away with him. But they weren’t as fast as the boy and their destiny and heads were taking by the Japanese. Luckily, the boy was above average. He ran without turning back, holding his tears and jumping to the river. The Japanese saw the Chinese boy throwing himself into the cold river, and with an embarrass resignation they let the boy disappeared inside the waves of the water.

The boy was alive. He joined a Chinese army in a village at the other side of the river. The Chinese soldiers had not skills, not food, and not weapons. All they knew was to fight for the sake of survival--to kill and not to be killed. But the Japanese soldiers knew about them. And they attacked by surprise the village. The boy again ran like never before but this time he jumped to his faithful black horse and his horse galloped as fast as he could. However, the Japanese horses ran fast too—so fast that they didn’t realize that they overpass the boy and his horse and when they realized that they were following nothing but dust, it was too late the boy and the horse were running to the opposite direction.

The Japanese troops turned back and followed the boy. The boy thought that destiny was on his side, but suddenly his lucky changed when he saw a big wall in front of them. Nevertheless his horse didn’t mind the height or the panic and he jumped as high as he could, arriving to the garden of an empty house. The boy didn’t think twice and instead of hiding inside the house, he ran to the scrubs with the horse and they hide behind the bushes.

The Japanese soldiers made mad sounds with their voices and burned down the house forgetting about the bushes. The horse wouldn’t move, just like a human, he could sense death too. He stayed quiet, almost without breathing or blinking while both listening how the boy’s friends were shooting to death. When the Japanese soldiers left, the boy and his horse escaped from the crime scene, refusing to kill and be killed.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Ahora en Español!

La Ciudad de Zhengzhou

Fuimos a visitar al tío Bai en la ciudad de Zhengzhou durante dos semanas. De acuerdo a Wikipedia la ciudad de Zhengzhou es "la capital y mayor ciudad de la provincia de Henan en el centro-norte de China." Aunque la ciudad tiene más de diez millones chinos, es relativamente pequeña, claro en términos chinos.

Viaje en el Tren

Tomamos un tren para llegar a la ciudad de Zhengzhou. Salimos de Shanghái a las 8 a.m., Nos tomó más de siete horas para llegar a nuestra destinación. He leído historias de terror acerca de el tren en China, sin embargo, mi experiencia en el tren no fue tan horrible como pensé que iba a ser. En realidad, estuvo muy cómodo: tenía un montón de espacio para estirar las piernas, podía caminar en el pasillo, y el boleto estaba bien barato. Además, había “squats” y tazas de baño. La mama de Bai trajo un montón de comida, así que comimos mucho y vimos películas en nuestras laptops. La mama de Bai descubrió el juego de fruit ninjas en mi iPhone, así que jugo con mi teléfono hasta que la batería se murió.

Bienvenido a Zhengzhou

Alrededor de las 4 p.m. llegamos a la ciudad de Zhengzhou. La Familia de Bai en Zhengzhou es muy divertida, humilde y amigable. La mayoría de ellos me miraban con mucha curiosidad y trataban de hablar conmigo utilizando algunas palabras en inglés y obligando a sus hijos a practicar su inglés conmigo. La primera noche allí, nos fuimos a un restaurante donde conocí toda la Familia - un montón de tías, tíos, primos, una tía abuela y un tío abuelo.

Cuando Bai les dijo que era mexicana, se emocionaron y se ofrecieron a cocinar comida picante para nosotros (Bai no parecía muy contento al escuchar esto). También hablaron de una película mexicana llamada "Yesenia", que nunca he oído hablar de ella, también a cada rato me preguntaban si podía usar los palillos. Como yo soy la primera "outsider" en la familia, tenían un montón de preguntas sobre mí. La mayor parte del tiempo, se preguntan si me gusta China, por lo general respondo muy cortés y les expliqué que disfruto de la comida, pero no puedo usar los squats.

Al día siguiente, fuimos a visitar la familia en la casa del tío abuelo. El tío abuelo de Bai nos contaba historias acerca de como los japoneses atacaron a China en la Segunda Guerra Mundial. Él nos contó cómo el abuelo Bai sobrevivió a la guerra y sobre un caballo que le salvó la vida varias veces. La familia nos mostró fotos de los abuelitos ​​de Bai, y sin duda se parece a Bai se parece mucho a su abuelo paterno, aunque su abuelito solía tener más cabello que Bai.

No estoy loca pero todo el mundo me está mirando!

En Shanghái, estoy acostumbrada a que la gente me mire a mí y a Bai. Somos una pareja extraña aquí en China. La mayoría de las parejas laowai-chinos son entre una china y un gabacho (por lo general un güero viejo), pero es raro ver a una extranjera y a un chino juntos. Sin embargo, en Zhengzhou, la gente no me miraba-- me miraban. No hay muchos extranjeros en la ciudad de Zhengzhou (No vi ninguno en toda mi estancia allí), así que supongo que los locales nunca han visto un “ojo-grande” caminando por las calles. Primero pensé que era divertido, pero luego se convirtió en molesto e incómodo. Bai dijo que me debería de sentir como una celebridad, pero más que famosa me sentí como un chango que se escapó del zoológico.

El Río Amarillo, El consistorio de Shan Shan Gan y el Palacio del Emperador

El consistorio de Shan-Shan-Gan es un club de negocios de lujo construido durante la dinastía Qing, situado en una ciudad llamada Kaifeng. Cuenta con la arquitectura típica china de color rojo-oro, muchos dragones, flores y pájaros. La sala del clan tiene un piso principal, una torre del campanario, y una pared de espíritus. Jugamos con la campana, nos tomamos fotos con los niños, y escuchamos unas historias que nos conto el tío Bai.

El mismo día fuimos al palacio de un emperador. El palacio del emperador era como un gran templo y para lo que recuerdo, los dueños del templo eran dos familias que se caían gordas y había un lago que los dividía. Nos dimos una vuelta y otra vez tomamos fotos de los jardines y una silla de oro (la silla del emperador). Bai considera que los emperadores perdieron demasiado tiempo construyendo el palacio y se olvidaron de gastar su dinero sabiamente en su pueblo y su ejército. Supongo que por eso, hoy en dia, ya no hay muchos emperadores.

A la semana siguiente fuimos al río Amarillo.

El río Amarillo es el segundo río más largo de China. Y bueno, es grande y amarillo. Cuando fuimos allí, era muy frío y ventoso. No llegamos a quedarnos allí por mucho tiempo, pero tomamos algunas fotos y escuchamos algunas historias sobre el río. Durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, las tropas nacionalistas rompieron los diques para contener a los invasores japoneses, pero en lugar de detener a los japoneses, mataron a un montón de civiles chinos y los japoneses atacaron Wuhan de todos modos.

Aunque, ya ha pasado un buen tiempo desde la Segunda Guerra Mundial, China todavía está afectada por lo que Japón hizo durante la guerra. Le pregunté a Bai por que los Chinos no superan lo de la guerra. Dijo que se debe a que Japón nunca se disculpó y sigue negando muchas de las cosas que hicieron. Por lo tanto, si quieres molestar a los chinos, sólo diles que se parecen a los japoneses. Te vas a arrepentir.

Una Trágica diarrea

En la segunda semana, fuimos a visitar al tío de Bai en su empresa papelera. Él estaba ocupado haciendo un trabajo, así que uno de sus empleados nos llevó a un restaurante de barbacoa brasileña.

El lugar era algo así como Fogo de Shao, pero en versión chafa. Los empleados eran groseros, y la comida estaba dos-dos. Tenían una ensalada y sushi. También tenían música country, no estoy seguro por qué, y las meseras llevaban ropa de vaquero. Teníamos hambre, así que comimos allí sin quejarno, pero creo que fue el error más grande!

Unas tres horas más tarde, empecé a sentir dolor en el estómago. Le dije a Bai, pero no me presto mucha atención. No voy a entrar en detalles, pero una hora más tarde, tuve diarrea (y solo había squats… FUE HORRIBLE!). Despues de que salimos de las oficinas, empecé a vomitar en la calle como la niña en la película El Exorcista. Todo el mundo me miraba, sólo podía imaginar el pensamiento de la gente "oh, mira allí! El laowai está enfermo! "Estaba tan avergonzada. De camino a casa, vomite otra vez y en la casa seguí vomitando hasta las 3 de la madrugada.

A la Familia de Bai se les hizo divertido que el laowai estaba enfermó. Me moleste un poco, pero no dije nada. Al día siguiente, Bai comenzó a sentirse mal y sí, el también enfermó. Estábamos solos en la casa de el tío de Bai, por lo que sólo podía darle agua y sentarme a un lado de mi esposo. Cuando Bai se quedó dormido, su tío se llego y le mostré un dibuje que hice explicando que Bai estaba enfermo. Se echó a reír, y él y su esposa llegaron con medicina para Bai. Bai parecía un mocoso chillón. Yo no moleste tanto cuando estaba enferma y tuve una reacción peor a la de el. Pero bueno, los hombres no saben lo que es el verdadero dolor.

De vuelta a Shanghai

No nos pudimos quedar por más tiempo en Zhengzhou, porque una empresa llamo a Bai para una entrevista de trabajo (y sí! Él consiguió trabajo!). Así que, unos días más tarde, tomamos el tren de regreso y dijimos Zaijian a mi nueva familia.

Mi aventura en Zhengzhou no estuvo mal después de todo, y bien, además de la diarrea, fue una gran experiencia.



Y esto es un corto cuento sobre el abuelo Bai. Disfrutenlo!

El muchacho y el caballo

El muchacho sólo tenía diecisiete años cuando escapó de la muerte. Un joven alto y fuerte, que no conocia el amor o lo que estaba detrás de los árboles alrededor de la aldea. Su comida, su familia y su hogar eran las únicas cosas que conocía. Él era bueno en los deportes, o mas bien, el mejor en la ciudad, con los ojos brillantes y la risa inocente, el muchacho jugaba baloncesto hasta el anochecer.

Un día de primavera, durante los años de guerra, el muchacho regreso tarde a casa con una sensación de extraña en el estómago; de repente, se dio cuenta de que su pesadilla de la guerra se habia hecho realidad cuando vio como las tropas japonesas atacaban a su aldea. El muchacho tuvo que huir del fuego y los gritos de miedo y dolor, dejando todo atrás. Podía sentir los soldados japoneses, que lo seguían como lobos olfateando su sangre. Sus dos mejores amigos se escaparon con él. Pero ellos no eran tan rápidos como el muchacho y sus cabezas y sus destinos fueran tomados por los japoneses. Por suerte, el joven era fuera de lo común. El corrió sin mirar atrás, olvidándose de sus lágrimas el salto al río. Los japoneses vieron como el joven chino se arrojó al rio, y con algo de vergüenza los japoneses dejaron de buscar al joven que desapareció en el interior de las olas del agua.

El niño estaba vivo. Se unió a un ejército chino en un pueblo al otro lado del río. Los soldados chinos no estaban entrenados y no tenían ni comida ni armas. Lo único que sabían era luchar por el bien de la supervivencia - a matar y no ser asesinado. Pero los soldados japoneses sabían acerca del escondite. Y atacaron por sorpresa al pueblo. El muchacho corrió otra vez como nunca antes, pero esta vez saltó a su fiel caballo negro y su caballo galopeo tan rápido como pudo. Sin embargo, los caballos japoneses eran demasiado rápidos, tan rápidos que no se dieron cuenta de que habían rebasado al muchacho y su caballo y cuando se dieron cuenta de que solo estaban siguiendo al polvo, ya era demasiado tarde el muchacho y el caballo corrieron a la dirección opuesta.

Las tropas japonesas se devolvieron y siguieron al muchacho. El muchacho pensó que el destino estaba de su lado, pero de repente su suerte cambió cuando vio a un gran muro en frente de ellos. Sin embargo, su caballo no le importo la altura o el pánico y saltó tan alto como pudo, llegando al jardín de una casa vacía. El muchacho no lo pensó dos veces y en vez de esconderse dentro de la casa, corrió hacia los matorrales con el caballo y se escondieron detrás de los arbustos.

Los soldados japoneses hicieron sonidos maniacos con sus voces y quemaron la casa olvidándose de los arbustos. El caballo no se movió, al igual que un ser humano, también podía sentir la muerte. Él se quedó tranquilo, casi sin respirar o parpadear, mientras tanto escuchaban cómo del otro lado del muro les disparaban a muerte a los amigos del chico. Cuando los soldados japoneses se fueron, el muchacho y su caballo se escaparon de la escena del crimen, negándose a matar y ser asesinados.







Additional photos below
Photos: 137, Displayed: 37


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0784s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb