Top Tourist Scams in China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
January 2nd 2011
Published: January 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Since I’ve been to China 3 times in the past year with one time being long term, so I’ve decided to actually write something useful for all of you first time/potential travelers to China—common tourist traps. Some of these I have heard from friends; others I have watched other people get screwed over; and some of these I was actually able to experience first-hand and fortunately dug my way out. Which ones? I’m not going to tell you; but always follow the golden rule—always travel with a buddy. That way, you’re not the only one that gets F’d over and you’ll have someone to laugh with about your stupidity. Most of these scenarios have the same purpose or outcome…getting left with a hefty bill to pay.

The “I am also traveling here too” scenario. This scenario is very common around major site seeing areas. You may be walking around and a group of 2 or 3 Chinese people will ask you to take a photo for them. They will tell you that they are traveling as well and they are quite good at integrating common interests. They will ask you if you have visited certain landmarks and will invite you to go if you say “no”. They will also ask you if you want to get a drink of tea with them, or grab a bite to eat (depending on the time of day). What happens next? Say you agree to go with them for that cup of tea or bite to eat; you will be taken to a “restaurant that they heard is good” which will end up being empty, but very well manicured. Your table will be all the way in the back of the restaurant or you will have to go through a series of long halls. Why? So you can’t escape or leave. If you end up ordering things, they will order a lot of food. When the bill comes they will either say that they have no money or they will escape and you will be left with the bill to pay.
Pijiu Girls ( 啤酒 girls). Pijiu girls target young foreign guys; just think Harold and Kumar or Sam and Frodo. Pijiu girls were popular around Nanjing Pedestrian Road before the World Expo in 2010; however, their numbers have decreased, but they do exist around major cities in China. What happens? Two fairly cute girls will find two foreign guys and will initiate talk. What 20-30 year old wouldn’t like a couple cute girls talking to him? This scenario is very similar to the 1st scenario. They girls will invite you to have a drink at a bar or eat at a restaurant. You will be talking to a venue and your seat will be all the way in the back of the place. In the end, you will have a large bill to pay. These girls are most likely hired by the bar/restaurant/karaoke bar/etc to trap foreigners. The critical stage of this is when the cute girls initiate the conversation. How often do cute girls approach guys and show interest at the same time?....Exactly
Looking for a good time? Check out this place! This situation is common around famous bar or social areas, and people who don’t know where to go usually get into this situation. You will be approached by a guy/girl (guy usually) who will ask you if you are looking for a fun place to hang out at? If you say yes, he will tell you a place that you can go to and might even pay for your cab ride. The venue is usually a KTV or karaoke bar. He tell you something like “it’ll only be 100 RMB”. When you get to the karaoke bar you will mostly likely get to pick which girls you want to spend your time with. You will be asked by the girls if you want food or drinks. If you say “yes I want a beer”, they will open up 4-5 cases and drink some for themselves. If you say “no I don’t want food”, they will say that they want food and food will come instantly and they will start eating it. Basically, the 100 RMB that the guy mentioned earlier is only the tip amount that you’re supposed to provide for the girls. What’s on the bill? A lot of things that were not mentioned such as room fee, food, all the beers and drinks that were opened, etc. What’s the outcome? A very large bill.
I’m going to take your money and give you extra goods. This scenario is a little different, but the outcome is relatively the same. Around many tourist areas there are street vendors that will try to sell you souvenirs. Usually the vendor will have a variety of different souvenirs to sell. If you are traveling with a tour group you will most likely be targeted around your tour bus. Tour guides like to carry around a big yellow flag or something that stands out and screams “LOOK AT ALL THE TOURISTS THAT ARE BEHIND ME!!!” So what happens? “Sir, do you like bags? Watches? Do you like this wooden dragon piece that serves absolutely no purpose, but somehow looks cool at the moment?” (just kidding about the last item). At this point, it is common to actually find something to settle with the vendor, or it is common to just keep walking and actually have no interest. Say you find something that fascinates you like that useless wooden dragon. The rest of the tour bus is waiting for you and the dragon is mesmerizing. You have to get it and get it fast. You end up bargaining with the guy and get your price to 70 RMB. You don’t have small bills so you pay with a 100. As you reach into your wallet, the vendor will take 200 out of your wallet. WHAT JUST HAPPENED? “WHERE’S MY MONEY??” You will be agitated and fight for your money back, but the vendor will pile more useless souvenirs into your hands. If you fight for your money the vendor may pull a parlor trick where he shows you the money underneath your boxed dragon and hand you the “money with the box”. If you look underneath, there is no money and he will start walking away. In the end you just paid 200 RMB for that lovely dragon.
Monopoly Money?! This situation is commonly faced in fake markets. Say you find a nice watch that you want to buy and you bargain the price from 600 RMB to 50 RMB. GREAT DEAL!? OOPS, I only have 100s. You pay with your 100 RMB bill and the vendor gives you 50 RMB back in change. You go to a convenient store later that day and buy a couple things with that 50 RMB bill and the cashier tells you she cannot take it because it is a counterfeit bill. What just happened? You paid 100 RMB for that watch!

China scams a lot of foreigners’ wallet on a daily basis. Money rules everything in China. While traveling, be alert, and don’t think every nice person you meet will automatically become your best friend. Make sure you carry smaller bills to markets to avoid getting fake bills. Chinese money comes in 1s, 5s, 10s, 20s, 50s, and 100s. The 50 RMB bill is usually the one that is counterfeited. To check the bill, look for a stamp of Mao’s face on the bill when you look at the bill with a light behind it. Also, there should be a metal band that runs down the center of the bill. In addition, make note of the texture of the bill. It should have a rough area when you scratch Mao’s printed face. Lastly, when you purchase items in markets don’t pull out your wallet and have all of your money in view.


Advertisement



5th January 2011

Thanks for the tips!
I'll be travelling to China this year and there is a good chance I will be on my own. Thanks a lot as you've most probably saved me from falling for one of those scams! Cheers

Tot: 0.653s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb