Niu Nian Kuai Le!!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
January 26th 2009
Published: January 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Years!

On Saturday, Shanghai University hosted a New Year's Dinner for us at a restaurant in Baoshan. The food was excellent and the faculty went around and gave us each a gift bag full of snacks (They will def. come in handy for the 33 hr train ride on Tuesday). I don't really have much to say about the dinner besides good food, gift bags, and beer.

Chinese New Years in Shanghai is INSANE. Yesterday people were lighting fireworks/firecrackers all day. The best way to describe what Chinese New Years is like is that it sounds like there's a war outside. One of the funniest things I saw were these little girls throwing firecrackers onto the street from a restaurant. I had New Years dinner at HoYoung, Michelle, and Didier's apartment. They cooked two dishes of fish, chicken, eggplant, beef, and a lot of dumplings. Afterwards they brought out a chocolate/fruit cake. The food was great, I wish I can cook like them because it tasted better than restaurant food. I brought over Tropic Thunder, so we watched the movie on their plasma tv after dinner.

By 11:40 pm, I took a taxi with Silas and
Shanghai University DinnerShanghai University DinnerShanghai University Dinner

Table getting their gift bags
Jessie to the Bund to watch fireworks. From the Bund, you can see the whole city lighting itself up with fireworks. People also bought lanterns, which act like mini hot-air balloons, and were releasing them over the edge of the Bund towards Pudong. People started to leave the Bund around 12:30, so a group of us decided to go to a club called Bon Bon and celebrate the new year into the wee hours of the morning. Tomorrow I leave for my trip to the Harbin Ice Festival so I am very excited about it :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

New Years DinnerNew Years Dinner
New Years Dinner

Chocolate cake
New Years DinnerNew Years Dinner
New Years Dinner

Silas and Jessie
New Years DinnerNew Years Dinner
New Years Dinner

Michelle cutting the cake
New Years DinnerNew Years Dinner
New Years Dinner

HoYoung cutting oranges.


17th February 2009

That is a great experence, I think you had fun on Chinese New year in Shanghai, Hope you enjoy your life this spring in China.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb