PROJECT PEACE- ANNIE'S MEMORIAL


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 4th 2007
Published: April 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

PROJECT PEACE.....ANNIEPROJECT PEACE.....ANNIEPROJECT PEACE.....ANNIE

An Shang School is a memorial to Mr. An Wei's daughter, Annie. Roy & Mr. An Wei standing in front of school built by villagers & Global Volunteers.....it was completed April 10, 2002.
On March 25, 2007 Mr. An Wei picked us up at the Sino Pearl Hotel along with Baoli, our Global Volunteers' team leader, to drive us to the village of An Shang, where he grew up. Mr. An Wei is founder of the Sino-American Society and responsible for bringing Global Volunteers to China - to the cities of Xi'an & Kunming & the village of An Shang. An Shang is an agricultural village, two hours west of Xi'an in Shaanxi Provence. In November 1999, Mr. An Wei's daughter, Annie, was killed in an automobile accident in the USA. She was 28 years old and studying English. Prior to her going to the USA, she had served as the on-site coordinator and interpreter for Global Volunteers in China over a four year period. Americans and Chinese made contributions of money and labor to build a memorial to her. We were driven to this village to see the school that the contributions have built. While standing as a monument and reminder of Annie's goals, the school, at the same time, will provide an opportunity for rural children to break the cycle of poverty and become even better citizens of China. Construction was started on April 10, 2002. A large ceremony celebrating the completion of 'PROJECT PEACE' was held on September 1, 2005. Farmers make up more than 70% of the Chinese population; they are hard working and friendly......with the children being the future of the world, the children of this village will be given many more opportunities to learn and be educated. The old school has been turned into a useful and productive art center. While we were there, volunteers were helping to prepare for an art show, to make money for the art center.....they were painting & cleaning up the building. The enthusiasm and energy was terrfic. This rural village is a combination of old and new buildings........Global Volunteers runs a program in An Shang and HuDi, Team Leader, was getting ready to bring a group in for three weeks. They come to teach the children conversational English, which, hopefully, will also build a bridge of understanding and friendship.....

'WE REALIZE THROUGH ALL EXPERIENCES THAT CHINESE AND AMERICAN ARE MORE ALIKE THAN DIFFERENT'...........AT THIS SCHOOL, THE AMERICAN & CHINESE FLAG FLY TOGETHER - A SYMBOL OF U.S.-CHINA PEOPLE'S FRIENDSHIP.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

STRIVE TO BE A BETTER PERSONSTRIVE TO BE A BETTER PERSON
STRIVE TO BE A BETTER PERSON

THROUGHOUT THE SCHOOL, POSTERS GIVE WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON, TO HELP OTHERS.
LUNCH BEING PREPARED....LUNCH BEING PREPARED....
LUNCH BEING PREPARED....

A MOST DELICIOUS LUNCH I MUST ADD!!!!
CAVES FROM LONG AGOCAVES FROM LONG AGO
CAVES FROM LONG AGO

MANY YEARS AGO, SOME FARMERS LIVED IN THESE CAVES
HANDMADE CRAFTSHANDMADE CRAFTS
HANDMADE CRAFTS

THESE HANDMADE CRAFTS WERE MADE BY VILLAGERS...THEY WERE VERY COLORFUL!
ART CENTERART CENTER
ART CENTER

THESE STATUES WERE IN ENTRANCE TO ART BUILDING


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb