How to Choose a Wading Suit


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 16th 2024
Published: April 16th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Sometimes, you must go into the water when fishing with a float rod and fly fishing tackle. This situation is typical in areas with a flat coast, where the depth increases gradually. This kind of fishing requires special equipment. You can't do without a wading suit. This article will look at which waders are best suited for various conditions. What should you pay attention to when purchasing clothing? How should you eliminate any tears in apparel? Read to learn the answers.

Criteria for Choosing a Wading Suit

In many fishing stores, wading suits are usually called waders. These are pants with sewn-on socks made of waterproof material. However, the material may vary. In one case, it is ordinary PVC or nylon. It does not absorb water, but it is not entirely comfortable for the body to stay in such clothes for many hours.

Material

Waders made from membrane materials capable of venting steam are much more comfortable. In hot weather, the body will not experience discomfort. Such suits are generally made of three-layer materials, with small gaps between layers. Each layer performs a specific function: one removes moisture, the second provides the necessary air circulation, and another is in contact with the body, allowing it to breathe.

If you often fly fish with a rod with a side nod for a jig, then buying a good suit made of membrane fabric is better. It is not only comfortable but will also last you more than one season. When fishing, you will feel free and comfortable.

You can purchase a cheaper PVC model if you rarely fish in water. In this case, buying a wader with boots glued on is better. Such suits can be called practical clothes that last a long time.

However, the main disadvantage is zero thermal conductivity. In hot weather, the body will become hot. One more point regarding drying: If water or moisture gets inside, the suit will take a long time to dry. Many PVC overalls cannot be turned inside out. It should definitely be taken into account when purchasing.

Boots of the Suit

It should also be considered that PVC wades are heavier than membrane ones. They take up more space in a backpack or bag. When purchasing, be sure to pay attention to the quality of the boot. The sole should not be too soft but not too oaky. It should be thick enough. Simply put, if you step on a broken bottle or other sharp object, a good sole will not puncture.

If you see that the sole is soft rubber, you should not buy such waders. Yes, it is easier to walk in such boots, but the primary function of such clothing is to safely overcome obstacles and prevent your feet from getting wet. In soft-soled boots, every small snag or tree branch poses a danger. You shouldn't take risks buying waders like these.

Types of Membrane Fabrics for Waders

Manufacturers use two types of membrane fabrics for sewing wading suits - with and without pores. The pore size is much smaller than the droplet size. Therefore, suits made of such material do not allow water to pass through. And the steam that occurs when the body sweats easily comes out. It ensures a comfortable environment for the legs and torso. It is always dry inside such fords. But there is one disadvantage of pore wades. During an intense night, the pores can become clogged with dirt. In frosty weather, the fabric hardens and becomes uncomfortable in such a suit. However, for sub-zero temperatures, utterly different clothing is needed.

The second type of membrane fabric for overalls has no pores. It is a polyester with high density and excellent water-repellent properties. On top of the non-porous material, there is a film that is 0.01 mm thick. It performs the function of primary protection against water and pollution. Such overalls can be washed with powders and detergents even in washing machines; they do not absorb dirt.

An excellent quality of poreless waders is their stretchability. They can be stretched several times without losing their original properties. Such products can be used both in cold and warm seasons. Their only drawback is that they "breathe" a little worse than pore models. But at the same time, they are much better than PVC waders in this indicator. In addition, wader manufacturers apply innovations every year to improve the breathability of clothing.

Let's say a few words about the degree of waterproofing and vapor removal of the material. This parameter is usually estimated as the size of the water column in millimeters. The starting value for waterproof materials should be considered 2000 mm. For waders, 10,000 mm is regarded as a good indicator. Therefore, when purchasing, be sure to pay attention to this indicator. Some models have a waterproof level of 14 and 16, and even 20 thousand mm. But to avoid getting wet, having waders with a waterproof level of 10-12 thousand mm is enough.

The second important indicator is the material's vapor removal capacity. It is the ability of a fabric to wick away steam generated by body sweating. The amount of steam discharged is indicated by g/sq.m per day. If we decipher this, we will get the amount of steam in grams that the fabric can remove from a square meter. 10-14 g/sq.m/day is considered a good indicator. Manufacturers of membrane products also indicate this parameter.

Size

It is essential to choose the correct size of waders. Therefore, you should try on a suit based on the clothes you will wear for fishing. It could be pants or thermal underwear. Clothes should be a little loose but not puffy. Be sure to walk around, squat, and take different positions to make the right choice. The fabric should not tighten the legs and other parts of the body. Well-known manufacturers like TideWe have overalls in numerous sizes. Therefore, there is no problem in choosing precisely the model that will best fit you.

Conclusion

Choosing a wading suit is a responsible task. However, knowing the basic criteria can help you easily select a suitable model. A properly selected wader will guarantee comfortable fishing and a good mood.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb