Days 20 to 25


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
November 20th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well good to see everyone had a good laugh at us in the Mao hats mwahahah.

Just while I remember I neglected to mention that after 20 odd days in China and despite the hair raising driving we saw our very first accident...it just happenned that we were involved IN it. Oh....and it was in a rickshaw mwahahhaa.

It was as we were being pedalled around the Hutongs in Beijing. We were winding through the narrow streets and our driver tapped a paser by (who really handt bothered to move out of the way) and it was ONNNN!

The pedestrian was totally offended and screaming at our drive. All the other drives stopped and came to the defense of our driver. The pedestrian then procceded to drag a massive concrete block in to the middle of the alley so we couldnt pass by and demanded an apology. hahaha "too cool for school" as Jerry would say.

Now on to an update...

Day 20 - Suzhou

So day 20 saw us arriving in Suzhou early in the morning. We headed out to a water town (venice of the east) for a look around and lunch. The local shop keepers were hilarious yelliing out "Hello just looking" as passed them by as they've obviously heard tourists say "just looking" so often!

The bus trip home was an interesting a public one, but far more "public" than some of the others and we were in fits of laughter as the driver ripped open the engine cover (right next to him in the bus) pulled out an implement, bashed a few bits of pieces and off we went again!

Dinner was nice, we tried the local snails (not that gross they were tiny little things mixed through veges). The walk home was a hoot. A little boy of about 4 years old was trying to sell roses and "took a shining" to Dean. That involved standing in front of him and not letting him pass. We heard Dean a feeble "help" in between his laughing.

MIke physically picked the boy up and put him to the side, and back he ran. Then we ALL ran down the street and the boy gave chase. OMG it was the funniest and cutest thing every. Unfortunately just as we were about to give in in lieu of the kids perserverence a police officer blew his whistle and the kid bolted!

Day 21 - Shanghai

We has a short train trip (45 mins) to Shanghai - a pleasant change to the overnighters. However CAN THOSE CHINESE PUSH. We paid for a special VIP service so we could get down to the landing earlier and it was still a battle to get us all on with our packs.

We hung out in the rooms for the afternoon and then did a cruise along the river (in the rain agh) that night. BOY is Shanghai and amazing city. On one side you have the most modern space age sky scrapers and on the other old French influenced buildings (French? I think so anyways).

After the pushing incurred on the train earlier in the day we decided to be a little cheeky so as we qued up we refused to move alll the way forward as we waited and the Chinese were going crazy (some law clearly that every little piece of queing space MUST be filled!). THEN we barracaded ourselves in to one corner of the boat with plastic chairs so we had unblocked views. Who knew a couple of crappy chairs could keep us in the clear?!!!! One sole westerner dared to squeeze past, he took his one photo and sheepishly left. Classic!!!

Day 22 - Shanghai

We had a bit of a sleep in (still raining UGH) before heading out for lunch and checking out some amazing Japanese typle gardens (ok they were chinese but you get the idea). We had 4 new members of the group join us that night (they carry on the tour after we finish) and that evening we went to the CHinese Acrobats.

WOW WOW WOW, those guys/gals are amazing. Lots of photos to show everyone but it was so cool (kicks arse all over Cirque De Soleil BIG TIME).

Day 23 - Hangzhuo

Freaking STILL raining agh. We took a morning train and had a rainy walk arounf what we're sure would be a beautiful lake and gardens (except that you could only see 20 metres in front of you) so slacked off having yummy coffees in a flash restaurant.

Dinner in the city and we had fun in the minishop on the way home being served by the most adorable little old lady who wrote down each item we bough in the following manner for us - "5 + 1 + 2 + 7 = 15" too cute!!!

Day 24 - Yellow Mountain

After a SIX hour bus trip we arrived in one of the Yellow Moutain towns. It was COLLLLLLLD. Only a very small town about 5,000 people. As we were walking home some guys on motorbikes decided to show off for us and one went down (not hurt so it was terribly funny!).

Day 25 - Yellow Mountain (today)

We came, we saw, we conquered. Wow. Today was a TOUGH SLOG. Alot of walking alot of stairs and hills but amazing views. Like the most amazing ever. Our fellow tour mates tell us Mt Sinai and Killamanjaro have nothing on this!

Unfortunately on our way down my knee did manage to pop twice so i'm a little bit sore, but hey, so is everyone else and i'll soldier on.




So.....tomorrow we head back to Shanghai on a sleeper train, then its the last night of our tour in Shanghai. PARTY TIME as it's my birthday the next day, so we're planning on dinner, cocktails on the 88th floor of one of the towers and singing Karaoke until middnigh hits and ITS MY BIRTHDAY hahaha.

Early that morning we then fly Shangia to HK to Disneyland. YAY!



Advertisement



21st November 2006

coming birthday
To Sarah I've decided to get in first as dont know your access to email daily. Happy Happy Birthday to you! What a fantastic adventue you are all having have a wonderful day/night and look forward to a photo night. Sharon Dave paris and jordan
22nd November 2006

birthday
ha Sis have a great birthday . try not to sing to much Karaoka Lol hope your not turning to to much of a karaoke nut . Carn't wait to see all the pics you and Dean have see you soon. Love Wayne , Julie and Natalie xxx
22nd November 2006

Happy Birthday
Dear Sarah Patricia, Have a very happy day and bring all the photos to Melbourne when you come in December. What a fantastic trip...One place I've never been too. Joyce and Colin send there love, they loved Shanghai too. Lots of love, Patxxxxx
24th November 2006

Last Year in your Twenties!!
Sarah - Hope you partied hard to celebrate the start of your last year in your twenties. Peter tells me that was the intention - he said what you had sent an the SMS. Hope the Karaoke was fun. Sounds like you really don't want to come home to us - can't say I blame you. Love, Cheryl
25th November 2006

Happy birthday!!!
i HOPE IT WAS AMAZING i MISS YOU SO!!!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb