Day 20 Hong Kong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China
April 19th 2008
Published: October 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 22.33, 114.18

A major typhoon hit Hong Kong. Our flight was supposed to leave at 7.30pm. On our way to the airport, it was raining heavily. It reminded me of cyclones in Mauritius.

We got to the airport at 5-ish only to find out we exceeded the baggage allowance so we got rid of some clothes to be given to charity.

Our plane was delayed which was no surprise given the typhoon. At first we were told to go to gate 32. Then it changed to gate 36. We were told our plane would leave at 10pm but when I went to gate 36 at 10pm, it was a plane to Brisbane and not even our flight number. Finally we were told to wait back to gate 32. The airport was chaos as no planes were allowed to land or takeoff. People were getting angry but I told Winnie to stay calm. We're here and there is nothing we can do so we don't need to waste our energy getting angry.

I could not get internet on my laptop as the free airport wifi was getting overloaded with everyone using it.

Eventually the typhoon passed and from about 11pm/midnight, planes were allowed to take off and land but the flights were still delayed because of the backlog.

I found out that our plane was coming from the Philippines and due to the typhoon had to turn back and go back to the Philippines. Finally around 2.30am, I see our plane landing. It only took a couple of hours for the plane to be cleaned up and refuel. We finally left at about 4.45am returning home.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.629s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb