Huang Shang, rafting and the perfect way to see a solar eclipse


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang
July 21st 2009
Published: July 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Olina and the tour groupOlina and the tour groupOlina and the tour group

Shame Orange hat lady was'nt there to see we'd joined her crew!
21st July

Today we got up at 5am and got our things together for the mountain we were going to climb. We visited a temple/old house which was beautiful as usual on the way to the mountain. Then we got taken for lunch and after we were driven to a small village on the edge of the river. We got on a boat and it was stunning just beautiful scenery all around. We got off the boat at a few stops the first was a chance for us to see a very small village where we saw a traditional chinese show, it was rather strange but hey long sleeved outfits to the floor and flappping them about is'nt exactly my idea of a show.
Next stop we got off and saw a tree that was over a thousand years and saw a traditional piece of furniture that they use to carry a bride to her wedding in. We then headed back to the coach and got a nice frsh corn on the cob from a nice lady on the street. We then got taken to our hotel near the base of the mountain and had some tea then bed for our early start the bext day.

22nd July

6am we were up and on the coach by 7am, we drove to the base of the mountain where were we got all fitted out to go rafting through the valley. This was also the day that the solar eclipse was taking place. We had been told by the tour guide that we would'nt get to see it so we had no expectations. Anyway back to rafting, we got in our raft and had a practice in a enclosed bit of the river then they released the gates and we were away down the rapids (small ones) and down the river. It was so funny i was determined not to get my top half wet as i had'nt brought another bra with me and didnt want to be wearing a wet one climbing the mountain later on. But no no we kept ketting stuck and sure enough i fell out and got very wet :-)
Lets say me and Olina wer'nt naturals at the rafting. As we were stuck on a big rock we noticed it starting to get darker and we could no longer see the trees covering the sides if the valley, when we looked up the solar eclipse was shinging so bright. It was one of the most awesome and peaceful things i've ever seen. It was silent and it kind of puts you in a trance we just watched it and no one spoke just was in a bit of disbelief as we were told we would miss it. But no we didnt and i'm so pleased we saw it in such a beautiful place.
After the daylight returned we carried on rafting and then got back on the coach.We then climbed the mountain. Because we chose to go raftin we only had time to climb the second half, we got the cable car half way. The mountain was very typically busy, like everything in China, and even though the route was some times crowded it didnt distract form the natural beauty of the mountain peaks.
We walked until about 6pm and then arrived at our base for the night. Me and Olina opted for the tent and had a great laugh sleepin up there, also slightly smug as our tent was actually nicer than the 'hotel' which had bunkbeds stacked like sardines and about 30
HouseHouseHouse

This was so tranquil,but it was such a sun trap.
people in a room!!
We got fed and then straight to sleep for our 4 am start to see the sunrise.

23rd July

Got up at 4 am and it was actually quite chilly. We walked in the dark (my headtorch came in handy) to the top of a peak where we gathered to watch the sunrise. Unfortunately it was really cloudy and so we could'nt really see it but still was nice just to take in the view and watch the sunlight slowly brighten the scenery. We then got taked to a few places od interest like rocks that looked like animals. Then we had the option of either climbing down the mountain (which was only 15 miles) or getting a cable cat. Me and Olina we two of only four form the group who climbed down. It was funny though and not difficult. We got to see the back of the mountain and also see the men carrying up to 60kg of goods up to the hotels which looked like so mcuh hard work. the muscles on there legs were huge. They only got paid £1 for every kilo they carried, and they could only manage about 2 trips in a day :-(
We made it to the bottom and were so pleased we had walked down.
Then straight onto the coach and it took us back to the restaurant where we had some food and then got ushered into rooms where we were shown tea and creams/medicine that contained snake oils, we didnt buy any of it.
We were so tired and we got back on the coach for the 9 hour drive home. On the way home the coach stopped at a supermarket, the tour guides get commison if people buy so much. But why on earth people went in i dont know, they bought some crap. Me and Olina opted for staying on the coach and sleeping.

We arrived home and went for some food in Olina's City just from a local street shop. Then headed home where i knew i had to pack even though i was tired. So i got home and packed as best i could in my tired state.

24th July

Well this was my last day in China. I finished packing had a shower and had a lovely final dinner with Olina's family before i got the coach at 1pm. I was so sad to leave them, they have been nothing but kind, generous and welcoming to me.
I cried (typical Lauren style) and tried not to be too sad as i sad good bye on the bus. I arrived at the airport at 5pm to wait for my flight at 7am!! I knew i had a long ngiht ahead. So i got some food and eat alot of snacks Olina's family had given me. I found some seats read my book and fell asleep about 12. When i woke up at 4am i went to stretch my legs and hit something. I opened my eyes only to find a group of school children surrounding me. They were looking at me and i was a bit confused. They were on my flight and had sat around me of all places to wait for it. I checked in about 5 am and the headed to dubai. I only had to wait 3 hours in Dubai and then i got on the final flight which was ok as i had two seats to myself and also Finding Nemo was on the film list so i was happy. I arrived in the uk at 730pm on the 25th and then waited for my train to york from the airport. I arrived home at 1am and went straight to bed.

It's nice to be home and i am enjoying the weather a lot more here and seeing everyone. I miss the people, the food and my friends who i grew closer to whilst on my trip in China, without them i would'nt have enjoyed it half as much!!

Right i'm outta here nothing exciting to say now i'm back hopefully working again before uni. I hope you've enjoyed reading my blog.

Lauren x


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Chairs for extremyl lazy peopleChairs for extremyl lazy people
Chairs for extremyl lazy people

They were so expensive!
The final four!The final four!
The final four!

And the guys thumb who took the picture!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb