Hong Kong to Hangzhou via Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Zhejiang » Hangzhou
May 20th 2013
Published: June 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Flew north-west from KL, arriving in dynamic, bustling and efficient Hong Kong, staying at a friend's appartment in a great central location. Took a day hike up to "The Peak", skirting around through forests and past reservoirs and enjoying panoramic views out to the South China Sea, eventually reaching the cloud-shrouded summit before taking the easy route down via the funicular Tramway. Also visited Happy Valley for the famous evening horse racing - the green, grassy arena surrounded by towering skyscrapers illuminated against the night-sky, my unsuccessful betting compensated by a few beers and a lively atmosphere.

Next flew up to Shanghai, catching the smooth, super-fast levitating Maglev train into the city and headed to the classy Vue bar at the Hyatt hotel for towering views over the new Pudong district and the Huangpu river. The following day strolled along The Bund with its classic colonial riverfront facades before visiting the building where the Chinese Communist Party was founded back in 1921, its exhibits providing an interesting Marxist spin. Next discovered the Propaganda Poster Museum tucked away in the basement of a housing block, the posters providing a powerful (and sometimes amusing) pictorial perspective on how China's relationship with the outside world has evolved through the 20th Century, and the once enemies of the US, UK and Capitalism. Later refuelled on tasty dumplings at the busy Din Tai Fung restaurant and relaxed over a few drinks in the tree-lined French Concession district.

Caught a swish new bullet train (negotiating the huge and confusing train station en route) up to the historic lakeside city of Hangzhou , zooming past numerous massive construction works for appartments to house the influx of country people to the cities. Hiked around West Lake, visiting Lingyin temple with hundreds of golden Buddha statues each with different expressions; passing the fat "Laughing Buddha" carved out of the nearby rocky hillside; climbing to Northern Peak with its expansive lake views and finally returning via the willow-lined 6th Century Bai Causeway...


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Hong Kong night viewHong Kong night view
Hong Kong night view

From yacht club
The BundThe Bund
The Bund

Shanghai
West LakeWest Lake
West Lake

Hangzhou
Water BuffaloWater Buffalo
Water Buffalo

West Lake
MeMe
Me

Northern Peak, West Lake
Laughing BuddhaLaughing Buddha
Laughing Buddha

Feilai Peak, West Lake


11th June 2013

Love your pics!
... and also your picture titles! Thank you for taking us on a dream-travel while we sit wrapped up in jumpers at our desks, hopelessly waiting for the summer to arrive! Looking nicely tanned and very happy Mr Stephen! Miss you but will understand if you do not hurry back! XX, B

Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb