Tiger Leaps but Too Far


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Tiger Leaping Gorge
October 24th 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A side-trip on our journey from Lijiang to Shangri-la was the Tiger Leaping Gorge on the Jinsha Jiang (upper Yangste River). The trip was full of glimpses and spectacular frontal views of the Yulong snow mountain range. Various hydro-electric projects and dams were also evident, and it is said a new dam may flood the famous gorge itself. Again there were massive numbers of tourists and tour busses to manage, and on a narrow road cut into the side of the gorge. It is vast, deep and steeply wedge-shaped. One may descend some 1,000 odd steps to viewing platforms, hassled all the while by people anticipating you may require their services being carried in a chair! The object of interest is a large striped rock at the centre of the rapids, known as Tiger Rock - this is the tiger that failed to leap across the gorge at its narrowest point.

After our visit, and before returning our journey to Shangri-La, we had lunch at Qiaotou Village, where I took pictures in the street and on the roof of the restaurant, including of the adjacent river, and of chile and roots drying in the sun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb