Congratulations Shona and Andy!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Lijiang
June 5th 2007
Published: June 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post


Congrats to Shona and Andy
Day 68

Going for another one of Mama's breakfasts, Mark's eye had become very sore and was now extremely bloodshot. Seeing this Mama sent one of her girls out to the pharmacy to get some ointment for his eye and cleaned it with a wash thing, put some cream on it and packed him off to bed, where he slept and relaxed all morning. If Mama says sleep, you sleep!

Chrissie spent the morning wandering around town with the friends we had made on the trek. We decided to try and follow the advice of another traveller who had told us we could get into the Black Dragon park for free if we walked to the bus entrance. We managed to get into the far end of the park but weren't able to see the famous view. It was pretty anyway with the lake and bridges and the mountain looking over it all.

The rest of the day was spent enjoying another of Mama's dinners and then saying farewell to Rob, Jillian and Lindsay who were flying off to Chengdu that night. The Tiger Leaping team was starting to disperse which was sad as we had got along really well but all part of the travelling thing!

Day 69 (dudes)

Today was kind of a sad one for us. When you go away for as long as we are you always know you'll have to miss things back home and unfortunately today we were going to be missing Shona (Mark's sister) and Andy's wedding back home. Devastated not to be sharing their special day but determined to celebrate from where we were we put on our snazziest outfits (no mean feat when you're travelling) and got ourselves properly dolled up!

Mark's eye was still sore so he went back to bed after brekkie and Chrissie went out with Anya and Paul to get a few bits for the journey to Kunming that night. Onward journeys from Mamas are easy. Just tell her where you want to go and when and she'll get the tickets sorted and bring them to you with no commission added - very different to other places we've stayed.

On the way back from town, the old square was filled with a group of Naxi women dancing to local music and, learning the steps quickly, Anya and Chrissie joined in - so much fun! Returning to find Mark feeling a little better we sat with our friends in the courtyard and toasted Shona and Andy with a bottle of the finest Great Wall wine.

We managed to phone home and speak to the beautiful bride before the ceremony as she was relaxing in the garden following her trip to the hairdressers. Congratulations to you both - we hope you had the best day and we know you'll be very happy together.

After a final feast at Mamas (we'll miss the fab food here but the waistlines probably won't!) we collected our bags and waited at No. 1 for the minibus to take us, Anya and Paul to the bus station. Mama gave us each a bag of bananas for the trip and a little good luck charm as a goodbye present. We were so sad to leave what has been the best place we've stayed so far thanks to our Chinese Mum! Mama waved us off and we boarded the bus to Kunming for the usual, slightly restless night, on the sleeper bus.














Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The dodgy eyeThe dodgy eye
The dodgy eye

(which is now all better)


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb