Life in Kunming


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Kunming
October 22nd 2006
Published: October 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

KunmingKunmingKunming

Looking out over one of the Green Lake Park ponds
After a fairly restless night where we realised why our place was so cheap - because there seems to be no form of a sound barrier between our room and the other 2 rooms that share the 'apartment', we discover that the cafe downstairs though serves the most incredible food.

With breakfast taken care of, and a map in hand we do a bit of shopping then being Sunday we head out to the University where we've been told there is an "English corner" of sorts. Looking forward to being of some use to the local community (or maybe just being the centre of attention) we grab a taxi out there, walk around admiring the grounds and the studious nature of the attendants. The place was a hive of activity! It's SUNDAY kids! Go home and play playstation!

Not finding the 'English Corner" we meander down to Green Lake Park where it seems this is where ALL the action is on a Sunday arvie. Very cool. Again, wonderfully landscaped and containing at least 3 lakes and 4 pagodas we wander over bridges and through pathways where all around us there is a fair-like atmosphere of people enjoying themselves. In
KunmingKunmingKunming

Pedal powered fairy floss
one corner there is a group of people playing traditional Chinese music, in another they are playing cards. We see from a distance soome serious games of cards are being played, while a Majong corner has informally sprung up nearby. The lakes are filled with activity also, the usual paddle boats, and more exciting a section has been cornered off for Zorbs! The line was huge though, so we didn't get to play on them 😞

Green Lake Park was just a really lovely place to be, and it was really nice to see the sense of community there where people would join in singing, or dancing, or just admire the beauty of the gardens and hang out with their loved ones.
We walk away with warm fuzzy feelings.

23rd October

After playing with our new toys we bought the day before we realise that we need to return said item. This takes up about 2 hours of charades, before we negotiate the bus system to visit the "Bamboo temple" highlighted as a place to visit.

Oh the ease of the local transport! And how cheap!! We catch the bus uptown then change onto another that
KunmingKunmingKunming

The latest craze in Kunming - a zorb in the pond.
takes us to the outskirts of the city. From here women find us to then pile us into a micro-bus that takes us up to the temple.

The temple was originally built in 9th century, but rebuilt in the 1900s. Contained within the grounds though were the original statues designed and made by local artisans in the 9th - 12th century. They too have been touched up along the way, but they remain in fantastic condition and are a wonderful source of eye candy. Each statue is individual in pose and expression and are sculptures of monks, religious figures, musicians and everyday people. The temple itself was lovely, with both the interior and exterior flanked in ornate designs and a myriad of colours - very different to the other styles of temples we've seen in the past. The beautiful grounds filled with orange and yellow leaved trees, and music is coming from one of the buildings. It was a lovely place to spend the early moments of twighlight before heading back into town.

We get off the bus at a major transport hub and I'm mesmorised and energised by the activity surrounding us. I was finding it truly
KunmingKunmingKunming

Locals dance in the park to a traditional band
great to be back in a proper city!! Tempting Andrew to stay in the area with a few beers somewhere I hoped to be able to get the intersection at night time, all aglow with masive billboards and neon lights. We end up having dinner there and wander back to find the no. 5 bus to return us back to the hostel. Did I happen to mention the SHOPPING!!! Holly shit!! Shoes for 4 Yuan!!! That's LESS THAN A DOLLAR FOR A PAIR OF SHOES!!!!

And believe it or not. I didn't buy anything. The restraint is beyond me.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

KunmingKunming
Kunming

The seagull man - he devoted his life and pension to feeding seagulls - now they return every year - Woohoo!
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Local Yunnanese get serious over a game of Mahjong
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Local hair models relax by the lake talking to budding suitors on the mobile.
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Kunming - Nunny's favourite city so far
KunmingKunming
Kunming

The squirrels love a uni... plenty of scraps to store for winter.
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Ricko recollects life as a student.
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Watch out for sea mines on the paddleboat ride...
KunmingKunming
Kunming

The local bass player fingers the fretboard
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Kunming by night - no wonder they have energy issues...
KunmingKunming
Kunming

The entrance to the bamboo temple
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Buddha - the only recognisable carving on the stone tablets
KunmingKunming
Kunming

5 of the 500 infamous statues - the only photogenic one's (no photos inside) but they were all impressive.
KunmingKunming
Kunming

Ricko tries his luck in the wishing well - you have to get a goin in a gaping mouth at the bottom of the cauldron (kind of Carny really - Mont you would have loved it - plus you've no doubt got the right sized hands)


1st November 2006

carny hands!?!?!
my god you guys can be so hurtful!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb