Culture Classes and Stone Forest (Shi Lin)


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Kunming
July 17th 2011
Published: July 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

To enrich our cultural knowledge, students have had the pleasure to learn to play a Chinese instrument called "Hu Lu Si" which resembles a clarinet/recorder and learn one of the folk dances of one of the minority groups. They've also had the opportunity to witness dancers as they practice their dance number for national competition.

Yesterday, students marvelled and enjoyed exploriong the Stone Forest. Stone Forest or Shilin (Chinese: 石林; pinyin: Shílín) is a notable set of karst formations located in Yunnan Province, approximately 120 kilometres (75 mi) from the provincial capital Kunming. The tall rocks seem to emanate from the ground in the manner of stalagmites, with many looking like petrified trees thereby creating the illusion of a forest made of stone. Since 2007, two parts of the site, the Naigu Stone Forest (乃古石林) and Suogeyi Village (所各邑村), have been UNESCO World Heritage Sites as part of the South China Karst. According to legend, the forest is the birthplace of Ashima (阿诗玛), a beautiful girl of the Yi people. After falling in love she was forbidden to marry her chosen suitor and instead turned into a stone in the forest that still bears her name. Each year on the 24th day of the sixth lunar month, many Yi people celebrate the Torch Festival (火把节 Huǒbă Jié), which features folk dances and wrestling competitions.

Please note that we will be out all day tomorrow sightseeing will go straight to the airport for our evening flight to Shishuangbanna. We may not be able to have access to internet for the next 3 days and will return to Kunming on July 23. On July 23, we will stay at 昆明兴华国际度假酒店 Kunming Xinghua International Hotel. If there is an emergency, please contact:
Bruna Gennaro at bruna.gennaro@tdsb.on.ca or 416 394-3272
Belkis Romero at belkis.romero@tdsb.on.ca or 416 338-4302.
Thank you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb