Shanghai to Kunming


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Kunming
January 19th 2010
Published: January 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We are in Kunming, arrived a couple days ago after a 36 or so hour train ride across China. But, to back up, our first night in Shanghai worked out nicely- we hopped on the maglev train, a very fast airport train, then to the metro, and a taxi, and we were at the hotel on the Bund. It was a really old place with grand colonial styling. Einstein, Bertrand Russel, US Grant, and others have stayed there.
The next day in Shanghai we walked around the Bund a little, and the Nanjing Lu pedestrian shopping district, had some good food, went into tea shops, etc.
We had a taxi adventure getting to the train station- we were going to ride the metro, but at the last minute decided a taxi would be easier, since we had to taxi to the metro anyway. But the taxi took us to the wrong train station, and we had to pay off some dudes to get us another taxi since there was a huge line, and we needed to catch a train. So we haggled with the new taxi driver a little, then payed him to scoot us across town. It was an aggressive driver and he got us there in time.
The train ride was fun, we met some people, entertained little kids, as they entertained us, ate train food, listened to crazy vendor woman selling stuff every couple hours, slept in hard bunks, and saw beautiful scenery.
In Kunming, we met up with Alex, Miranda's Brother, and had diner with him and his friend Samantha.
Yesterday we rented bikes and rode across town to a park that has a bunch of pagodas and shrines on the cliff face of a mountain. Some monk a few hundred years ago went there and chiseled a bunch of trails in the stone. Now it is a big tourest spot, but pretty cool. A great view of the city, and a fun cable ride up. We did a lot of hiking up there too.
Last night we finished up the day with dinner and massages. We were too tired to meet up with Alex for beers.
Now it is time to meet him for breakfast, and plan our day. I think we are going to Anning, near here, for hot springs...
Until next time, zaijien!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Streets of KunmingStreets of Kunming
Streets of Kunming

who's on that bike?
godsgods
gods

These guys keep the dragons away
Hall of Divine ParentsHall of Divine Parents
Hall of Divine Parents

we lied and they let us in
Hot PotHot Pot
Hot Pot

Thai style


19th January 2010

so awesome!
You guys look great...I am so glad you are doing this...have fun and soak it all up for us!
19th January 2010

Awesome
Hey Dale and Sharon: Looks like you two are having a grand time. The food looks so yummy. Loopy stuff went really smooth today...I think. No complaints yet. Wyoh says hi...he's been loving the skiing and snow shoeing and then sleeping on Shawnee's bed. JC

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0704s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb