Rainy day...what a surprise...


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yunnan » Dali
July 26th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday did not yield anything much exciting as it was raining again. We got moved into our new place just a few meters down from MCA. It was a dingy hotel that was so desperate for patrons that they let us have the room for 40rmb (that would be ~$2.30CDN...) - so how could we say no? It had hot water and beds, so we really didn't complain.

After getting checked in etc, we started walking down towards Er Hui Lake (I think that is what it's called at least). It is the lake that Dali sits on, in the middle of the mountain valley. After walking through road construction for about 1km, Hanmu got a van cab to give us a ride down to the water. We really didn't know how far the water actually was until we got in the cab - and considering it was raining pretty hard, I'm glad that we spent the 5rmb. Usually, we walk everywhere we can since it is often faster (and obviously cheaper) - but in flood-producing rain, we really weren't in the mood for it! At the water you can take a boat to an island inhabited by a small Bai fishing community. It was 150rmb for each of us - but since it was raining and business was slow, we were able to get them down to 90rmb each (and when I say "we", I actually mean Hanmu with me standing around looking like I know what the hell is going on...). After an abnormally long boat ride (see below regarding speed in China), we got to the island. It was boring. We went into some caves (which we had to pay for...?) and then got hassled by old ladies to come and have tea. Hanmu asked how much it cost for them to be silent. They didn't see the humour. We left the island and headed back across the water for mainland.

After getting back on land, we took the public bus (only 1rmb!) and headed back to town - and we didn't get lost! (what a change!). The rain had let up some, so we got some street meat/corn and walked around the old city again for a couple of hours. We ended up having a late lunch/early dinner at a "western" style food place since I need a little familiar meat (and Hanmu wanted pizza...but didn't get any). The food was good, but let's say that "western" food in China is like Chinese food in the west. We walked around some more and then finally ended the night drinking coffee and playing chess. Can we get any more nerdier???

This morning we got up around 7, grabbed breakfast and then headed to the bus station. We took a 4.5hr bus ride back to Kunming as we have a train to Chengdu to catch tonight. The bus was fairly comfortable compared to the last few that we had taken and it didn't feel like it took that long (even though it took 4.5hrs to drive only 300km...on a clear and open highway...see below). We're now in Kunming again, waiting around for our train to leave tonight. We grabbed some street watermelon and some dumplings and now we're at an internet place. When we were walking to a Kodak film place to put my pics on a CD (Note: I can't upload as the internet in china is like dialup most of the time), some kids (<8yo) were hussling for money. They got really annoying and wouldn't leave Hanmu or I alone. I finally got so annoyed that I hit one of the kid's cups out of his hands and then they all took off. I felt bad about doing it, but that's the only way that they'll leave you alone. What is worse though, is that there is a parent that is making their kids do this. Another successful achievement by the Chinese government: Social Support...or lack there of...

Today (and part of yesterday) I have been particularly miserable in China. I don't really know why, but I think that it is a combination of being away from home, living out of my bag and missing people. As well, with all the people here, it is difficult to ever have some peace and quiet for any more than 30sec. Oh well, a few more weeks and I'll be home.

Speed in China: Why it takes so damn long to get everywhere....
Chinese drivers are bad. No ifs, ands or buts about it. I don't think that they mean to be, but it is out of pure survival. Road signs and lights are taken as suggestions in China; by both vehicles and pedestrians (which include people on foot, motor scooter, bike etc). As a result, they drive very cautiously and make sure that they let everyone know where they are on the road via use of the horn. Signalling does not occur in china - you just honk your horn and move, hoping for the best. As well, they only drive about 80km/hr on their major highways - even when you're on flat land and it's a clear road! It drives me NUTS! Oh well...that's my rant on Chinese driving for the day.

Off to Chengdu. The train to Chengdu is 18hrs, so we hope to be there by tomorrow at noon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb