The flight to Yichang

China's flag
Asia » China » Yangtze River
April 3rd 2015
Published: April 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

After spending some time at the hotel last night, struggling to hook up with the wifi, we headed out for the World Financial Tower on the other side of the river. It had been bucketing down and thunder and lightning while we were in the room. Thankfully it cleared up and the bright night lights of Shanghai stood out for us to admire. We caught a ferry from the Bund side of the river to the other. There were loads of people outside, trying to get photos and they clearly had no concept of personal space.

When we were half way across it started to rain and it didn't stop for the rest of the night. That wasn't going to stop us though. We looked up and headed for the tower. As we drew closer, we realised that the tower we were heading toward was not actually our tower. We found another one, that wasn't it either. Finally we found it. Quite wet and bit on the tired side. We went up in a double decker lift to the 97th floor, changed lifts and headed up to the 100th floor. There was a glass floor, it was blowing a gale and after a couple of minutes up there, the cloud set in once again.

We had more luck finding the ferry to go home and ate a take away snack from the 'family mart' for dinner.

This morning, we had a nice stroll along the 'Bund' before we needed to head to the airport. We cheated and had breakfast at Costa Coffee and headed to the hotel for our taxi. We saw more Thai Chi, ore backward walking and clapping and at least 20 different mobile photo booths setting up for the day. Problem is there is a thick fog and it is unlikely that they will do any business today.

We checked out. Got into a taxi that smelt like and ash tray and headed for the airport. After an hour, we realised that the driver had been told the incorrect airport. After a few Chinese profanities by the driver and perhaps the odd one for me, we joined the Shanghai grand prix and raced across the city to the other airport. We made it! At check in, my bag went through the xray and the man asked me if I had a knife. Of course I said no because as far as I knew, I didn't. He opens my hand luggage and pulls out a large fold up knife. This is the same bag that came through customs in Australia and Shanghai. I have no idea where the knife came from. OMG!!! Another ordeal. We ran to the gate (the furthest one away) only to find out that the flight was delayed and we don't know for how long. It is now an hour after our due to depart time and we have been told that we board in 5 minutes. I'm looking forward to relaxing on this cruise for the next 4 days. See the real China. If it's all like Shanghai, I will be disappointed. It's a great modern city, but not what I want to see in China.


3rd April 2015

Omg Sue can't believe they fold a fold out knife in your carry on!! Can't believe it got through Aus and Shanghai, more to the point. Sounds like you ladies have had a few funny adventures already! Well funny from here. Hope the rain leaves you alone for your cruise. Sending love from home x
5th April 2015

Haha sounds exciting and tiring hope you're all having a good time and you are enjoying things a bit better than Shang hai. I should of warned you about mums farts they are pretty toxic!! Happy Easter. Miss u all x

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb