Yangtse River Day 2


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Yangtze River » Shennong Stream
November 9th 2010
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Another early morning wake up call by those pesky birds chiring along in unison. Today was a highlight - a trip up the Shennong Stream. We had to disembark the boat and hop on to some smaller ferry boats to take us up the stream - the scenery is absolutely amazing but as with everything progress is encroaching and buildings and bridge works are beginning to dot the landscape. It was freezing cold and we needed every layer that we had on, although we did brave standing out on the deck to capture some beautiful pictures of the misty mountains and granite landscapes. We were on the lookout for the hanging coffin - a coffin suspended in a crevice - I couldn't see it the first time round and decided that I would keep a look out on the return journey. We finally reached the floating dock for the pea pod shaped wooden boat ride. These were small boats that held about 14 people and were controlled by the local boatmen of the area. All 6 boatmen were members of the same family and had passed down the tradition from generation to generation. With the construction of the dam it has made life easier for them as they no longer have to get out and pull the boat through the difficult areas as the water level has risen by a couple of metres. The boatmen have no other income and received no money to do this - they survived purely on the tips that we gave them. The boat ride was very peaceful and we same some beautiful landscapes. virtulally untouched. Finally it was time to head back the river boat and this time I did see the hanging coffin - a small coffin suspended about 20 metres from the water level, wedged in a crevice - no wonder why I didn't see it the first time!

I decided to treat myself to a Chinese foot massage in the afternoon - quite different from a Thai massage but just as great (although he was a little bit brutal and found the spots that were aching).


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb