Colonsay to Xinjiang


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang
January 30th 2018
Published: January 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Our plan is to fly to Urumqi, then to travel anti-clockwise around the Taklamakan desert, onwards via Dunhuang and so to Xi 'an, travelling by public transport. It seems to amount to 3,780 miles. From Xi 'an we go to Hong Kong via Schenzhen by bullet train, for R & R with our children and grandchildren. We do not speak Chinese, we live in the remote Hebridean island of Colonsay, 37 miles from the mainland, population 125 persons, 20 square miles. This adventure is to mark my 70th birthday, and is not the sort of thing that we have ever done before. The idea of public transport is to ensure that we actually do make contact with local people; we hope to see the obvious sights, and will also be keeping an eye out for natural history (especially ferns, if any!). We leave our island on 19th February, weather permitting, and reach Urumqi on 24th February. We allowed 34 days for the main trip and hope to reach Hong Kong on 30th March. Naturally we hope to describe the journey, but of course we cannot be certain that the supposed "firewall" will play ball. I will try one more post before departure, when I will try to add a photograph of Colonsay itself (for practice). After that, any updates will record our actual progress and experiences. As an aside, I should mention that Trailfinders were very good in sorting out our visas and flights, and that CTS Horizons have gone to great lengths to help with bookings of trains and one or two difficult nights for accommodation. BTW, we are having to go rather early in the season because of other commitments, and I hope to comment upon weather conditions and availability of major sites out of season.

Advertisement



1st February 2018

Exciting!!!!!
What a lovely blog and your trip sounds just AMAZING and fun. We can't wait to see u both when u arrive!! If Sophie's washing machine isn't big enough, you can use ours. Can't wait to read your next post! Keep them coming dad. xxx
7th February 2018

A tour behind the bamboo curtain
Best of luck, Kevin I'll dip into your blog from time to time. Hope you manage to update it "on the road" - should be fine, as you won't be using BT!
18th February 2018

Enjoy
We will be looking out for your blog. This is so exciting. I hope you both have a fantastic time. Your enthusiasm for everything you do is inspirational.
22nd February 2018

Have You Gone Yet?
Awaiting with baited breath!
23rd February 2018

All the Best !!
We will be thinking of the 3 of you, looking forward to your blog, hope it gets through. And yes Christa we will keep you in our prayers!!! Margaret & Drew.

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb