First Snowfall!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Urumqi
November 8th 2012
Published: November 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

In the wee hours of Thursday morning, the snow started falling here. We hadn't seen any sign of snow up until now, but, when it fell, it was enough to bother with, not just flurries! Despite my hatred of cold and snow (I like it for Christmas, and that's about it), I must admit that my walk to work that morning was beautiful!



Snow removal here is... interesting... to say the least. It doesn't seem that there's much professional snow removal: if you want your area cleared, I guess you do it yourself. Furthermore, there seems to be next-to-no sign of salt or sand. Thursday afternoon was a sunny afternoon, so the snow started to melt. But it's been cold since. So... do the math: uncleared snow + a little sunshine + subsequent cold temperatures - salt or sand = rather treacherous walking conditions!



Anyways, here are a few pictures from the last few days. The kids sure enjoyed the snow while it was fresh and fluffly... and before their teachers cleared it!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

SummerSummer
Summer

... an ironic name for this picture! But so cute!
SnowmanSnowman
Snowman

A Canadian family in my subdivision got a little taste of home by making their first snowman of the year!
Giddyup, Horsey!Giddyup, Horsey!
Giddyup, Horsey!

Jerry riding his little horse around is just too cute!
MountainsMountains
Mountains

The afternoon after the day it snowed was sunny. I'm surrounded by mountains here, but high-rises usually block the view. This was the first and only glimpse I caught of them freshly covered, and it was breathtaking.
Close QuartersClose Quarters
Close Quarters

I have to throw this picture in. Just after taking the shot of the mountains, Rhonda and I got on a bus. It was crowded, as busses tend to be here. This drunk guy got on and stood right in front of her. He kept leaning on her and almost falling on her. We weren't sure if to try poking him or what we could do. And we had a fairly lengthy trip, too. Although it was rather awkward (at least for her!), we both got some good laughs out of the whole thing!


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1008s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb