Turpan


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Turpan
August 26th 2008
Published: August 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Turpan, one of the four famous "furnaces" in China. Apart from that , it is also famous for its Karez wells , Jiaohe Gucheng, Sugong Ta, Huoyan Shan (fiery mountain), Turpan Pendi & grapes. Grapes are widely cultivated in Turpan, produces some 50% of grapes output of China.

Karez wells - an ancient & fantastic underground irrigation system - melting water from the mountains is channelled to the oasis over long distant underground (to prevent water from evaporating) using the force of gravity that is still use today which span some 3000km long.

Ruined city of Jiaohe Gucheng (Old City by Two Rivers) - 10km (6 miles) to the west of Turpan , was founded in the Han period (206BC - AD220) & served as the centre of a kingdom until the 5th century. Civil wars & lack of water at the Mongol rule in the early 13th century brought the city to ruins.

Sugong Ta (Emin Minaret) - 72 steps leading to the top, built with clay bricks in 1777 & finished in 1788.

Huoyan Shan (Fiery mounain) - a range of bare sand-stone mountains rising up to 1800m (5906 ft) stretch for 100km (62 miles). One can virtually cook the eggs here by buring it in the sand.

Turpan Pendi (Turpan Basin) - this oasis 150km long from east to west is a depression 150m meters below sea level, second in the world below sea level after the Dead Sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb