Cherchen


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Xinjiang » Hotan
July 12th 2013
Published: July 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,

10 hour coach trip, 580 kms, from Hotan to Cherchen, it would have been quicker apart from the security checkpoints.The police refused to let one guy back on the bus and we left him at this checkpoint in the middle of nowhere. Really amazing to travel across the desert. I don't think I've ever seen such a desolate place. In parts of the desert there were huge sand dunes then in other parts it looked like the bottom of a dried up lake and then it would burst into green when we neared the oasis towns.

We booked into the travel hotel next to the bus station, which wasn't the best. We were offered a suite for 200 rmb, I don't think so, or a room with a shared bathroom for 100 rmb. We took the room but the toilets were a horror show. The toilets would not flush!! The shower was hot though and the sheets were clean.

So we got here late last night and believe it or not it rained yesterday nearly all day. It takes Dany and I to visit the desert and it rains!! So we went out to look for something to eat and to see what the city was like and our opinion wasn't good.

Today after a good nights sleep, at least the bed is comfortable, we were greeted to a very different place. The sun was shinning and the city seemed to have transformed. There are flowers at the road junctions, there is hardly any traffic and there are some lovely little shops and a covered bazaar. Here there are no women totally covered and there are a lot more Han and Hui Chinese people. The tandoori chicken and the mutton dumplings were especially delicious. After the long trip from Hotan we've decided to stay here a couple of nights.

Enjoy the photos

Jah Bless


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb