Day 9: Everest Base Camp - Lhatse


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Lhatse
August 29th 2006
Published: January 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

I slept well last night....but Suki seems to have a hard night. She has been having respiratory problems the past few days....possibly due to the thin air.

When we woke up today at around 6am, dare not step into the toilet...was told it was a disaster inside...haha....Someone had quite a war there last night...ended up brushing my teeth by the window!

After a hearty breakfast, had a slow walk to Rongphu Monastery. Initially, we thought we could be able to catch the Tibetan morning chants. Again, unfortunately, they cancelled it. One may think that we may be disappointed by not being able to get what we expected....but the beauty of this trip is that....we did not quite have any expectation...or rather I just went ahead with the trip and take everything in as it comes. It makes the trip so much more memorable and exciting. The natural beauty around you and the lovely people around you is enough to make up for everything.

Due to the tight schedule we have in our itinerary, we resorted to taking a horse ride to the Everest Base Camp instead of taking the 3 hour walk there. Beautiful ride by the river....and we came back in quite a roller coaster ride...haha...it was a short cut that we took....haha...the little pleasures in life.

Stayed at EBC for almost an hour. Climbed to the highest point at EBC for some "konika" time. We also did something scientific. We measured each of our heart rates. Mine measured about 95bpm, Suki's 125bpm while our guide Pubu was only 67bpm!!!

Had the noodles lunch again before shooting down to Lhatse. It's time to part from the rest of the group. Just a brief farewell as our path met en-route back.

Mind you at this time it was day 2 without bath. We were expected to stay in a guesthouse in Lhatse, which means no bath again and unconventional toilet practise. We were not quite ready to go through that again. Not to mention emptying our bowels!

When we were passed by Lhatse, we saw this quite nice hotel and we suggested that we make this upgrade. Pubu checked with the tour agency and were given the green light on the condition that agency only pays for 50yuan per room and we pay the remaining. All four of us unanimously agreed to go for it. Each room cost 300yuan and making simple calculations, we only paid about S$25 for this upgrade. It's totally worthwhile!

Excitedly, we took our backpacks and check out the rooms! Great beds...great shower...great toilet!! What more can we asked for....

At this point, we decided to go for dinner first. Off we go scouting for good food. We saw that one of our jeeps have gone to the workshop. One of the tyres seems to be leaking air. Thank goodness we discovered that early.

Dinner was great. The brinjal was just great....wonder what they put inside.

After a rest, I had the best shower of the year! Haha....i could feel layers of dirt coming off me...although it could be just imaginary.....but it was just orgasmic!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb