Breathless


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tibet » Gyantse
October 21st 2008
Published: October 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today I travelled from Gyantse to Lhasa via one of the most scenic routes I have ever had the pleasure to take. The view was full of mountains, lakes, the bluest skies and the occasional yak.
The dominant features on the landscape were Mt. Jetung Chusang(6242m), Mt. Jangsang Lhamo(6324m) and Mt. Nojin Kangtsang(7191m). We stopped several time to take photographs and it occured to me that Nojin Kangtsang didn't really look that high. But then realised that I was already at 5000 m above sea level. The altitude wasn't making me breathless but the scenery sure was. Then the spectacular Yamdrok-tso came into view. It is a large lake and the road winds its way around and above the blue waters. Along with the stark, brown mountainsides and blowing snow at the summits, it is a photographer's paradise.

The route is also marked with prayer flags at various points and passes through the mountains. There are thousands of them; red,green,blue,yellow and white, representing 5 elements of earth, air, water, sky and fire.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb