It's more blessed to give than to receive


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tianjin
February 20th 2010
Published: February 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Prince of Peace Children's Home and Children Rehabilitation Centre
Finally! We are going to meet the children at the home today.

We were briefed on the rules and regulations of the POPCH by Liu Jie, the hospitality officer. The home has strict rules to protect the interest of the children under their charge and we have to sign some papers before we are allowed to start "work". I felt that this was a very good SOP by the admin as it protects the interests of the children and also set our expectations right.

We were brought on a tour of the home before we start our duties officially. Everyone was given an identifier batch (which incidentally became useful when we were stopped by a security guard to ask why we were at the door of the home.

The place was very well run with lots of thot given to planning and administration. Like my previous trip with WV in Cambodia, the system in place and the love and professionalism of the staff never fail to amaze me!

The team was headed by 3 HK staff and a team of local staff. During our walk and interaction with the children, it struck me that "love" is the greatest language of all. "If I have the tongues of men and have not love, I m like a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal....Faith,hope and love...the greatest is LOVE"

What is so amazing was the patience and happiness the staff went about on their duties ...they love each child and truly their happiness in helping each child achieve their potential (isn't what every parent, educator, adult..want?) is more than evident when i interact with them.

The sense of pride in telling stories about the children eg how Jing Jing (the child that was assigned to me) learnt how to progress from sitting to kneeling....was told with lots of pride.

The team has a curriculum specialist and also an administrator for day-to-day operations. They believe early intervention is most impt. We also met the principal, who proudly told us that two of her children will be adopted. Like any proud parent, she beamed continuously when she told us that the two children will soon be leaving the fold 😊

It is indeed a start of a learning journey to serve- 助人为乐 never rings more true than my experience today. It is my hope to be able to give joy and happiness to the children during my short stay here. There are many things I can learn from my "child", Jing Jing, and the people who looked after them.

Diana n myself had fun teaching the kids games like "london bridge is falling down", "old macdonald had a farm" and teaching them simple english.

I ended the day on a high note as nothing can beat the experience of being able to make the children smile - with just a simple massage or even tickling their toes😊

More pix at




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb