Western China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Tianjin » Zhunhua
June 23rd 2014
Published: June 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

ROCKY CAMP. 22.6.14



Distance: 150 Kms (73ks) SubT. 3266 Kms Bal 9,211 Kms

Weather: fine, a little overcast making it pleasantly cooler.

Time in Saddle: 3 hrs Av Speed: av. 22 kph.

Elevation: 1,000 m : Decent 225 m

Calories burned : 5000



The scenery today was inclined flat (3%), distant mountains some snow capped, and otherwise rocky, sandy riverbed looking land. Uninspiring.



Laid awkwardly on my injured shoulder last night resulting in a bad neck and headache by mid morning, so retreated to the van, after all, that's its purpose. I believe I made the right decision, as head became worse as afternoon progressed. Consumed two cups of revitalising chicken broth with veg and rice, which helped the recovery.



Starting to wonder whether I am up to this trip. Finding it very arduous, now that we are camping 80% of the nights. Maybe getting on the scales was the wrong move, now concerned that I have list 15% of body weight in 31 days, when the mountains have been minor compared to what is to come. The problem is that the places I really want to see are yet to happen. Will need to monitor carefully. Now force eating!!



The road signs are now in dual languages, Chinese and an Arabic like script. I have been very surprised by the depth of Islam in China. The government is still busily moving Eastern Han Chinese to the western zones, to maintain political advantage and numbers. The countryside is still occupied by the original people, ( Moslems mostly) and the cities with the large populations are Han people. In this provence, Xinjiang, 19% of the China landmass, 10 people were killed overnight in ethnic revolt. Hopefully we will skirt problem areas.



About 30% of the riders are ill, currently vomiting and the runs. I think part of the problem is that we are not getting enough protein and calories and with the constant big days, people are becoming very tired, lowering their immune systems. Don't know what the answer is. The group is otherwise harmonious and the crew are all cheery and hardworking.



DESERT CAMP : MONDAY 23.6.14



Distance: 147 Kms SubT. 3,403 Kms Bal 9,064 Kms

Weather: fine and hot. 35-40C at camp in afternoon

Time in Saddle: 5.5 hrs Av Speed: av. 24 kph.

Elevation: 500 m : Decent 1500 m

Calories burned : 5000



Left camp at 7 am. Mixed sleep. Trucks, Windy and warm. Cycling out surrounding mountains were snow capped. Good down hill morning, left jacket on for initial 30ks as the downhills were fast, 55ks, cool, with wind assistance. Then the wind changed and was head on, which was tough and negated the time benefit achieved on the downhill!



Near lunch stop, saw a power station which converted turbine power into electricity. Many large power poles led up to it, clearly to disseminate the electricity far and wind.



Very hot riding and more so at camp.supposed to be grassed, but it was talc dust. Arriving early, leads to a very long, hot afternoon. This camp area is surrounded by grape vines. There are also long houses with 6 inch square holes, so the consensus is that they are used for fruit drying, thinking sultanas and currents. Apparently tomorrow's town, Turpan, is known for its wine production. Something to investigate on our day off.



Congratulation George, on your promotion, clearly you are an asset to the business. Well deserved.



About 5 pm the police arrived and withdrew our camping permit, supposedly due to an overnight terrorism event in Kashgar. Wouldn't have been so bad, other than we had already erected tents. We had to collapse the site, pack everything up and be gone by 7.30. Miraculously we all did it. Moved to a flash hotel 30 Kms away. Watched by a group of kids to their amusement.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb