Jiuzhaigou Nature Reserve


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Sichuan
November 18th 2010
Published: November 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

I decided to go to Jiuzhaigou to get some fresh air and do some hiking. It is a ten hour bus ride from Chengdu on twisting mountain roads with drivers who believe they own the road. Our driver had developed a system, he would honk loudly before and during all bends in the road, then take the middle of the road. Some near misses! I've added a couple pictures of the road.
Jiuzhaigou is a Chinese national treasure. Having been there, I can understand why the Chinese take tours where they drive, get off for a second, take pictures and get back on the bus. Jiuzhaigou is only about 40 km of road through some beautiful scenery. Its packed with emerald lakes, falls, streams, mountains, pine forests.
You can walk more than 40 km on boardwalks on the opposite side of the lakes from the road. Unfortunately, all the boardwalk walking paths were closed for the season. I managed to see all of the park in one day jumping on and off the buses. At the end of the day, I walked out on the road, about 10 km, much to the concernation of the bus drivers and park workers.
It was nice to see the stars at night - less air and light pollution than the cities.
I decided to return to Chengdu the next day, on the same crazy road.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb