Resting in Pingyao


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Pingyao
July 17th 2006
Published: July 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our home in PingyaoOur home in PingyaoOur home in Pingyao

Our room was through the door that you can see in the distance.
Our arrival in Pingyao was some what of a group effort. Having stepped out of the train station exit at Taiyuan (because the first bus to Pingyao did not leave for two hours and was four kilometers away), we started to consider our options for making the lengthy trip. As we stood, more and more bemused backpackers started to appear from the very train that we had just come from. Eventually we started to talk to one another and some of us started to research the alternatives. The local train became our responsibility, whilst other people looked into cabs, buses, bicycles or donkey. Ultimately one chap negotiated an excellent deal (30 Yuan each) for all of us to be taken to the very walls of the city by minibus. Our little group had swollen to 16 by then and we took every available seat on the minibus, much to the annoyance of the locals, who (I think) were going to be taken some where by the vehicle that we had requisitioned. Three and a half hours later, having narrowly missed being dropped fifteen minuted short of the mark, we arrived at (quietish) Pingyao. No cars or vans are allowed in the old town so people get about in electric golf carts or on bicycles (except for the people who have cars or vans).

We booked into a hostel called Tian Yuan Kui Hotel that we would recommend to anyone who is passing. Our first three days were the most beautifully uneventful of the trip. We slept, ate, occassionally stepped into the street outside, played with the resident kitten, did laundry, wrote a blog entry and most importantly waited until Marc was feeling better (he was feeling a little unwell), his leg had fallen off.

The following two days were a little more eventful whilst we did the touristy thing, because Marc regrew his leg, we were able to get around town more easily...

We paid for a town ticket (which gave us entry to about 20 historic buildings in the old town and was valid for 3 days), we could not have got around to seeing every thing in a day. However we did manage to visit the confucian temple, the nine dragon wall and then the town temple, where we acquired a free guide who told us lots of things that we would not have known had she not been there. We also went into some traditional houses (hutong's) of merchants and bankers (Pingyao is the home of China's first bank).

In the center of town, about 10 meters from our hotel, was a 18 meter tower which had great views over business street. On our last day, we took a stroll along the city wall which is about 10 meters high and wide enough to ride a bike two abreast. We walked with our backs to the main gate, leaving all the local Chinese tourists behind, so we had the wall to ourselves and some great views into the old town (basically snooping into peoples back gardens).

We even managed to make time to pop into some of the many "antique" shops and Emma brought a couple of hand painted tea cups (hopefully they will make it home in one piece).

We have pre-booked our train out of Pingyao to X'ian so our next stop will be the terracotta warriors!

ESPECIALLY FOR CHLOE, BEN & JASPER: In the past, Chinese beds were different to yours.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A Traditional Chinese BedA Traditional Chinese Bed
A Traditional Chinese Bed

In the past, Chinese people used to cook and sleep in the same room, the advantage being that the heat from the oven (on the right in the photo)also heated the bed.


23rd July 2006

Oz is enjoying your trip with you
We love getting your news and photos. You are brilliant to send out this blog! China looks amazing and we are so impressed at your efficient travelling. lots of love David and Jenny

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb