Datong


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanxi » Datong
August 12th 2008
Published: August 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Datong, the little city of Shanxi province, famous by suspended temple and Yungang cave. The suspended temple was built at the cliff, 1400 years ago, the building main structures were inside the cliff, that way the temple was incredibly firm there, that was a case for architecture study. Inside the temple have 3 religions together, Buddhism, Taoism and Confucius, no matter the building itself or the mix of the religions there, both are very interesting.
The Yungang cave, one of the 3 main stone cave in China, completed 1500 years ago, this is much better than Longmen cave, the sculptures of Yungang are more preserved, there register the history of the Buddhism from India to China, besides the art and architecture style, there is a interesting story: some Buddhas' sculptures had a lot of holes, there were the holes for the Buddha's "makeup", the sculptures have wind eroded over time, and the people there to make the Buddhas more presentable, they made some holes on the sculptures to put the clay, but the wind with time still eroding the sculptures, and made the little holes bigger, so now basically they stopped to do the "makeup".


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb