Modern Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
April 30th 2015
Published: April 30th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The BundThe BundThe Bund

Modern skyline
If I tell you that the city of Shanghai has over 20 million people, which is about 20 times the size of Calgary, you will get an idea of how busy the airport was when we arrived. City noise is acerbated by drivers’ constant use of their car horns and the fact that many people with strident voices feel the need to shout, rather than simply speak. Tour guides mostly use microphones turned up really loud so if you are near one or more of these groups you hear only a constant babble.

A visit to the Urban Planning Museum showed just how much the city has changed in the last 30 years and that amount of change is impressive, especially when it involves relocating huge numbers of people. Most live in apartments as few can afford houses.

Luckily for us, some of the restaurants have menus with pictures and a brief description in English. Upon arrival in some we were seated and given a package of plate, bowl, tea cup, small glass, and ceramic spoon, all sealed in a cellophane package. Nothing edible is wasted. Pigs ears and trotters, tongues, frogs, and chicken feet are all on the
Zhu Jia JiaoZhu Jia JiaoZhu Jia Jiao

One of many water villages on the outskirts of Shanghai
menu. When we ordered duck it came with the head, missing only the beak.

As well as visiting the regular museum, with bronzes, currency, a jade collection, and other interesting rooms, we spent most of one day wandering round one of the old fishing villages at Zhu Jia Jiao, which included one of the first Imperial post offices established during the Qing dynasty in 1896. Most people were illiterate so a scribe had a desk there to write letters for people, which were then dispatched by boat.

Corresponding in such a vast country was a major undertaking in less modern times, especially when China was at war. Although a courier was allowed to change horses when necessary, he was expected to carry his message for the entire journey. On occasion this meant tying a deceased courier to a horse that knew the route. The most urgent military messages were expected to travel 250 km/day.

Before we moved on, we also fitted in a walk along the Bund beside the Huangpu River to see the night lights, a visit to a silk factory, a tea tasting, and an acrobatic show where I just hoped the performers had good
At the museumAt the museumAt the museum

Studying the bronze pots
insurance.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Fashion weekFashion week
Fashion week

Two of the more fashionably dressed
DinnerDinner
Dinner

Anyone for frogs!


1st May 2015

catch up
Hello travellers, lovely to see your asian adventure here in Brum. Not too sure of duck heads, frogs and chicken feet. The ladies had a lunch date this week and your name was mentioned, I had meant to email / fb you. We finish our deputy year on 19 May but Mike retains the title Lord Mayor's Deputy for life. My last duty is to the Town Hall to see the Grimesthorpe Colliery Band (with Lynda P) who were in the film Brassed Off. How long are you away this trip? Look forward to reading your blog :) I was on Barr Beacon this morning at 05.20 dancing and watching the sun rise!

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb