Gōng Xǐ Fā Cái!!!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
January 23rd 2012
Published: January 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Chinese New Year Fireworks 16 secs
Happy New Year!! Last night we rang in Chinese New Year and it was a wonderful night. The fireworks were amazing and nothing like I had ever seen before. What made it unique was that everywhere you looked fireworks were going off - it was not a grand firework show put on by professionals but mini-shows put on by all the residents of Shanghai. There had been a build-up of fireworks for several days, but as the clock struck midnight last night the city lit up - it was glorious.

I got to experience the fireworks from the perfect view. After dinner, a few friends met up for drinks at the Park Hyatt 100 Century Avenue Restaurant - a restaurant/bar on the 91st floor of the Shanghai World Financial Center. The view was breathtaking and it was a great way to start the evening. As it approached midnight, we made our way to Cloud 9, a bar at the top of the Grand Hyatt (hotel theme not intentional). The bar has panoramic views of the city and it was the perfect place to ring in the New Year.

I think the best part was when left Cloud 9 after the fireworks. As we exited the building, we were struck by the smell of gun powder in the air. There were so many fireworks going off across the city that the air was filled with their smoke and scent by the time the show was over. As our cab drove through the city to the next destination, every street we passed was littered with spent fireworks - some still smoking from being set off. I have never seen anything like it.

The fireworks will continue tonight and tomorrow, and I can't wait to see them from street level. As I write this entry, I can hear the bangs and pops of fireworks going off in the background, and it is only the late afternoon. Shanghai truly knows how to celebrate!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb