My wonderful week in Wayne's world


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
September 24th 2010
Published: September 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Shanghai skylineShanghai skylineShanghai skyline

the can-opener
My wonderful week in Wayne’s world

As soon as my friend Wayne knew I was coming to Beijing he promised he would come out and meet me in Shanghai, even though in the event it meant him flying half way around the world to fulfil his promise, from Toronto! So in 5 days and 6 nights we ‘did’ Shanghai. No paving stone was left unturned as we tramped our way, guide book in hand, around the wonderful old historic buildings of the French Concession and The famous Bund. Built on the river, Shanghai’s skyline is now known more for its space age architecture, including the world finance centre known as the’ can-opener’. As a major port it was always one of the most westernised of Chinese cities and there are places where you could think you were in Europe. Xintiandi for instance, although originally the seat of communist plotting, has now been carefully rebuilt with tourists in mind and is the epitome of capitalism, but nonetheless has a certain charm. The excellent thing was that our sightseeing routes always ended up in a different spa where we revived with a delightful foot massage!

We were recommended the local theatrical extravaganza ‘ERA’ which was a Cirque de Soleil kind of acrobatic show with a grand finale of battling motorcycles in a wire sphere, nail biting stuff. We also indulged in the best Japanese restaurant in Shanghai, hidden down a bamboo lined alleyway it opened up into a warehouse style eatery with huge open plan stainless steel kitchen - just like the tele! (Altho the funny prelude to this is that we actually went to the wrong restaurant first and had to get directions via London before escaping and finding our way to the right and far more select establishment!)

Our best day of all was actually out of the city to the garden town of Suzhou. Wayne was thrilled to discover the museum had been designed by architect,
I M Pei, architect of the Louvre, but born in Suzhou. This was an atmospheric, simple yet stylish, extension to the traditional buildings. Suzhou is most famous for its seven gardens but the baking heat deterred us a little and we just chose to explore one, The Garden of the Master of the Nets which was gorgeous. We also discovered, completely by chance, our perfect canalside café; called the Green Room and lined with theatre and dance posters it was run by a former technical manager from the Hong Kong contemporary dance company - life is made up of such coincidences. We then went on to the canal town of Zhujiaojiao, claiming to be the ‘Venice of the East’ it was certainly quaint and quirky. We were lucky to somehow avoid too many other tourists and wandered the lanes and floated down the waterways with the locals and picked up a bargain or two.

Our last day we went to EXPO - it had to be done. But we were very fortunate that we (thank you Jess) had managed to acquire some VIP tickets and we didn’t have to join the four+ hour queues. So feeling slightly guilty, but very privileged and relieved, we just went straight in to the British, Germany, United Arab Emirates and Japan Pavilions. And without any bias I can say the UK pavilion was by far the most innovative and quite unique in its interpretation of the eco friendly theme of this year’s EXPO. I am sure you have read about it but the giant dandelion clock design is awesome close up and inside the seed cathedral is quite magical.

But best of all, of course, was getting to spend time in conversation with one of my oldest and most valued friends. We haven’t had so much time in a long time, and I don’t need any Olivier awards to tell me that for me he is, and always will be, a complete star. Thank you Wayne

So back to reality and unfortunately a hefty dose of Chinese flu which flattened me out for about 4 days and brought me back to earth with a bump!
7 months in but still a solid 5 months to go so time to dig in and get on with the next bit. Deep breath ………………….






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Yu GardensYu Gardens
Yu Gardens

a not so quiet corner of old Shanghai


24th September 2010

What a fantastic place
Hi Gillian Really pleased that you enjoyed your week so much with Wayne. the photos depict such a serene and artistic place. I love the Uk pavilion - fascinating. I wonder if Wayne's visit will inpsire some future masterpiece! Chin up you are on the last leg now but I bet it feels as if you have been away for ages as you have packed so much in already. All well here but not looking forward to the long nights of Winter ! Take Care Love Jacky and Peter
2nd October 2010

waynes world
lucky you! your trip to shanghai looks fantastic! Ryder cup in wales wigan v st helens rugby league final in manchester today eddie and i are going! What a contrast!! with luv sue xx

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb