Sydney to Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
April 25th 2010
Published: April 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Take OffTake OffTake Off

Qantas Airbus A330-200
Sydney - Shanghai April 25

Our alarm went off at 5.30am, at the Best Western hotel in Wollongong. We had been there, celebrating Jeff’s niece, Amanda’s Wedding the night before. It was a lovely night, well planned and everyone had a great time.

We stepped onto the balcony overlooking the mountains, and the grey skies and drizzle made everything appear calm. We left the hotel and drove directly to Sydney Airport, where we had arranged for our friend Jim to meet us, and give us the baggage we had not taken to Wollongong, and to take the car home.

With all the delays caused by the recent Volcanic eruption in Iceland, we had expected a lot of people at the airport, but it was not really any different to any other time. We quickly checked in and changed some money before clearing Immigration and Security, and after a quick breakfast, we made out way to Gate 32 for boarding.

Today our aircraft is an Airbus A330-200. We had seats 1AB in Business class. Our departure was slightly delayed waiting for one wayward passenger to board, and then quickly taxied for departure. One of the Flight Attendants recognised us from a previous flight, and she and the rest of the crew were very friendly and efficient.

Flying over Sydney and beyond was very turbulent, as we were flying through a 140kph jet stream, so the seat belt sign was on for around half an hour. The crew then served drinks, and we both ordered our obligatory Gin and Tonics. More turbulence followed, even when lunch was being served, and at one point discontinued service for around 10 minutes.

Finally the plane had passed through the high winds, and the crew continued serving lunch. Jeff ordered a Prosciutto and Parmesan salad followed by Chicken with Chinese Black Vinegar sauce and Choy Sum. Paul chose a Chinese Broth with Seafood then Chermoula Marinated Kingfish and Couscous. We enjoyed a Cullen Semillon Sauvignon Blanc with lunch. For dessert we chose Espresso and Vanilla Ice Cream with Pistachio Praline, and shared a selection of cheeses with Walnut and Fig paste with a delicious Bortrytis Semillon.

After lunch we both snoozed and watched movies, and listened to music. Although the flight was quite full, the cabin remained quiet, and the crew were always offering drinks or snacks. 2 hours out of Shanghai a light dinner was served. Paul chose Chinese Braised Duck, and Jeff chose Herb crusted Mulloway. For dessert we had a delicious Olive Oil and Sauternes Cake, served with a very nice De Bortoli Dessert wine.

On arrival in Shanghai, we were processed quickly through Customs and Immigration, and in no time proceeded to the High Speed Train, called the Maglev. It can reach speeds of 400kph, but we travelled at a sedate 300kph on our 7 minute journey which covered 35km. Another train passed us in the opposite direction, and it was just a blur, and the cars on the freeway seemed to be at a standstill. The journey took us to a station part way to the city, where we caught a taxi to the Le Royal Meridien Hotel. It wasn’t easy trying to communicate with the driver, so we learnt a lesson on not assuming everyone can understand us! We checked in, and have a lovely room overlooking the river and cityscape on the 39th floor.

After a quick shopping excursion to buy an I Phone charger which we had left behind, we returned to the room and relaxed with some Room service dinner before bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



26th April 2010

HOW FABULOUS
Hi Paul and Jeff. Well what a fabulous time you will be having. I am so looking forward to reading your very descriptive blogs - almost seems like I am there. As a fellow fan of travelling, I am most keen to keep up with your adventure.

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb