It's Shanghai baby!


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
March 24th 2010
Published: April 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The slow train arrived in Shanghai around midnight the day before and i decided that i will stay in the hostel today to catch up on sleep, laundry and this blog. I have a room mate but she was sleeping when i arrived and she woke up before i did. It was major washing for me and the fact that there is a dryer in the hostel helped alot as Shanghai is raining! I met my room mate later in the day, her name's Lisa and she's from the UK. She has been traveling around the world with Gap Adventures and was in Shanghai because her Tibet trip with Gap Adventures was cancelled. We made plans to visit the Yu Gardens the next day. Later in the night a new room mate joined us. Her name's Oryoon and she's from Korea. She's studying in Jinzhou and is in Shanghai for a stopover before flying into Jinzhou. And she decided to join me and Lisa in our Yu Gardens trip the next day.

I woke up earlier the next day and went down for the free breakfast provided by the hostel. There was meat buns, vegetable buns, fried dough sticks, soya bean milk and toast on the buffet table. After breakfast it was to the Yu gardens we went. Luckily Lisa has the Shanghai metro system all figured out and we effortlessly arrived at the Yu Gardens in slightly under 30minutes. Lining the path to the Yu Gardens are lots of shops selling little knick knacks and paintings .

The Yu Gardens was the 1st of the many chinese gardens i saw and i was in awe of the winding paths, the stone walls and the ponds in it. There was a particular pavillion in the Yu Gardens that has a mirror reflecting the garden and the 3 of us happily sat there at took shots of ourselves through it. Meandering through the paths we find ourselves in small sections of the gardens which took our breath away. There were hoards of tourists with tour guides and i stood close listening in for free the stories involving the Yu Gardens.

After the fascinating walk through the gardens, we went to a food court near it and had lunch there. When we were about to leave the area, we saw the Victoria's Secret's logo on one of the malls and decided to go in for some girly stuff. The VS outlet is a small one and the only one in China according to the sales assistant. I got myself a purple hoodie and Oryoon had her 1st VS undies bought there.

Night was quickly falling and we went back to the hostel for beers and dinner. It was nice girly fun day for me and i guess it was a nice way to end Lisa's China's trip before she heads off to Nepal the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb