Almost Shut-in in Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 5th 2008
Published: November 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The authorities in Shanghai almost didn’t let us get off the ship. We signed up for a 9 hour tour that started at 8 a.m., but since there were a reported 120 people with Norovirus on the ship, they came aboard and inspected the ship and interviewed the sick people. They finally cleared us around noon, so we missed a few things on our tour, including a Kindergarten class of musicians and singers which I hated to miss. We missed seeing this gigantic white jade Buddha at yet another temple. We’re “templed” out by now though.

The night before, George got a touch of the virus with a headache and body aches, so he stayed back at the ship. It was good, as the tour went to the Shanghai Museum and Old Town shopping, two things he would not have been excited about. Also, we stopped at a silk factory and store, where I had to go to the bathroom over a hole in the floor, but luckily it had a flusher. I haven’t figured out why they make these except maybe it saves them time??? We can’t go around sitting down, standing up…all that stuff--sort of like the jar with peanut butter and jelly all together that Brian Regan talks about.

The food vessel from the 10th century B.C. that was in the museum had three legs, as all of the vessels did for so many years, because they had uneven ground which doesn’t work with four legs. I’m always amazed by the age of these items made by people thousands of years ago using such ingenuity and talent.

Shanghai’s skyline picture shows the smog covering the city. Most of the city has been built in the last 10 years, but there are old colonial buildings in between these skyscrapers where the average space for each person is 350 sq. ft. Washers are about $50 for Panasonic, LG and the like, but most homes don’t have dryers so they hang their clothes, bedding, and underwear out to dry.

Old Town was very crowded as Shanghai has 14 million people. There was one department store (called “Friendship” stores), and hundreds of shops. The prices were about the same as in the U.S. I went into the basement, but this was a scary area, so I got out fast. One of the security guards standing around told us to put our purses in front of us and men hold on to their wallets.

Next to Old Town was the famous Yu Gardens built in 1559 by the Ming Dynasty. The four elements that make up gardens are rock, water, flora, and pavilions, the latter to rest in to view the gardens. I have all of those except the “pavilion” at Wildwood! Might have to have one!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



5th November 2008

Amazing!
Absolutely amazing! Smart - the three leg standing concept to level out uneven ground. Your gathering area by the dock can be your meditation pavillon at Wildwood - beautiful. Stay away from the virus.

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb