The free market


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
August 19th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I am writing this offline at about 3.30pm as I have a quiet moment I have lots to write about from this morning already! We are still hoping the internet will be fixed this evening, Ian and I are suffering from withdrawal symptoms! Ian has gone out for a foot massage and the children have decided to listen to their iPods on their beds for a little rest. I keep hearing William singing very now and then, but it is all quiet for now!

Sophie and I were picked up at 9am this morning by Lisa (our landlady) and her mother-in-law to go to the ‘Free Market’. I have attached photos so you can see what it was like.....an indoor market to all intents and purposes but Chinese style. We were left to go for it on the fruit and veg level, and bought broccoli, (2!) potatoes, large tomatoes, mushrooms, Asian pears (which look like really huge apples but we tasted them and they are pears!), pomegranate, 2 mangoes, a watermelon, garlic, fresh coriander, a huge red onion and red chillies. Then we met Lisa again and went upstairs and saw the meat section. We bought some beef and pork steaks and saw some sights.....also some fresh noodles which were so cheap, some ready-made dumplings and spring roll type sausagemeat thingies. All of this cost about 100RMB, about £8!! It was great to do this, but you need a Chinese guide really at first. I hope we can go again as it was such good value but we have to find it first!

In the car, I was chatting to Lisa and she was telling me that when she has her baby, her mother-in-law will stay for 2 more weeks after and an ayi (nanny) will be employed to look after the baby as she has to stay in bed for 40 days and do nothing but sleep and eat. She is not allowed to watch TV or read books as it might hurt her eyes, and she is not even allowed to shower! Definitely no looking after the baby! Her other son has a permanent ayi who even sleeps in the same room as him. Those of us who have had babies, could you imagine doing that?! I know we would like a bit of a rest, but 40 days of doing nothing would drive me crazy! She knows she is expecting a boy but she isn’t supposed to know, and she said as it is her second child, it is going to cost about £10,000 for the ID card/passport for the child. It was so interesting talking to her about it, but totally mad systems!

When we got back from the market, William and Daddy were bonding in front of Spongebob! They were very impressed with out purchases (William less so, granted!). Our friends Suzanne, Nathan and Emily came over for lunch and play. We had found French bread and yummy rolls, with sliced ham and cheese which proved very good. The butter is really expensive here, but this bread was really cheap and then we sampled our fruit from the market which was fun! The kids played well for a while then we explored the play area in the compound but it is about 35 degrees here so we came back after not so long.

So, we are finally connected to the internet at home. It is now 9pm and we are back online. I hope you guys enjoy news of our exploits over the last few days. Sadly, I can't download the photos from the market this morning as yet, so will do so when I find the USB stick.

TTFN
xx


Advertisement



21st August 2008

Lots of pictures of dumplings too please! Glad you are having fun.
22nd August 2008

Dumplings
Hope the new pictures help a little, but they are being cooked tonight!
23rd August 2008

from Santa Barbara, California
Hi, I am Suzanne's father. She shared the location of your blog. I am enjoying reading about your adventure. I am so glad you and Suzanne have connected. Plus, it is great fun to read your view of Shanghai!
24th August 2008

Hi, good to hear from you, I have heard lots about you! Glad you are enjoying the blog, Suzanne is a great friend already, think we both find some sanity (and madness!) in each other!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb