Shanghai Nights


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 29th 2008
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

ShanghaiShanghaiShanghai

One of the many busy streets
Shanghai is a city, a big, bustling city. It was everything I had pictured for a typical modern Asian city; big buildings, lots of people/lights. The best way to see the city is to hit The Bund, which is right on the river, and see for yourself. We decided our second evening in the city would be our tourist night and hit the light filled river front. Arriving at the Bund you could immediately see the crowds it attracted, we had to walk quickly around the slow meandering tourist staring up at the light covered buildings across the river. The Bund is set up on the western edge of the Huangpu river. A hip and trendy area, many bars and restaurants have set up in the classical european style buildings bringing crowds of people to eat, drink, and see the sights. The sights many come to see are the immensely tall buildings that are across the river in the financial district. This area, which is still under construction and the new "World's Largest Building" will be finished in the near future. The once, "World's Largest Building" rests behind it housing the immaculate Grand Hyatt Hotel, which occupies the upper half of the building, I'll come back to this later. The sight from the Bund is stunning.

Our first stop on our tourist evening was the Tourist Tunnel, a psychedelic light show fit neatly into a 45 second tram ride under the Huangpu river. It was very strange, a mix between club lighting and a fun house it was just one of the "things" we had to do. Arriving at our destination we came out below Shanghai's famed TV tower, a hole hearted attempt at making a TV tower attractive, took some pics and headed for our final destination for the evening; drinks at the 89th floor of the Grand Hyatt Hotel.

It was a fancy place, as you can imagine, and offered nice views of the city. The decor was fancy, the nicest place I had been in on my travels, so fancy the bar had a magician walking around entertaining guests. He ended up at our table for an hour or so entertaining us which was the highlight of the night for me. Before we left we checked out a 35 story atrium in the hotel, see picture.

The rest of the time in Shanghai was spent
Shanghai from 89 stories Shanghai from 89 stories Shanghai from 89 stories

The view from Cloud 9, the Grand Hyatt's top floor bar.
checking out other various sights, museums, shopping, eating, etc. On a whole it was a nice city but it's way too big and busy for me to stay there for any long period of time.

The end of Shanghai meant it was time for my mom and Sister to head home. It was really great to see them and be able to explore China together. In the end I was very happy we did an organized tour; it took the stress out of everything and organized the whole trip so we could see a wide range of sights all over China. My favorite moment of the trip was the bike ride we took in the Yangshou countryside, riding through the small villages and their farms. Yangshou is where I am right now and outside the touristy center the countryside is absolutely stunning.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hello VertigoHello Vertigo
Hello Vertigo

Grand Hyatt's 35 story atrium
Shanghai Financial District Shanghai Financial District
Shanghai Financial District

Shot during the day. You can see the TV Tower and three buildings in a row. The one in the middle is the Jin Mao Tower (where the Grand Hyatt is located) behind it is some new huge building and the one in front under construction will apparently be the new "World's Largest Building."


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb