No Way - Part 2


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
May 26th 2008
Published: May 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We last left our students standing in front of a police officer whose clever use of the English language left them dumbfounded. Then, just when they thought things could not get any worse, whistles started blowing and a line of soldiers formed in front of the crowd.



The soldiers joined hands with police officers and began to walk forward while a few blew on their whistles repeatedly.



The crowd was forced back for several minutes, until finally the soldiers stopped and another police line was stretched out in front of them.



The view from this point was significantly worse than before.




From their new position, Jason, Lina and Nikhail could see several trucks driving along the relay route, shouting chants over loudspeakers to energize the crowd.



After some more waiting, the VIPs lined up against the route started making noise waving their Chinese flags as another vehicle passed by.



Nikhail and Lina spotted a flame, and Jason tried frantically to take as many pictures as he could. Only one shot showed something that looked like a torch with no flame visible.



The torch relay will probably get a fair share of news coverage. You will see the scenes of joyful celebration as China welcomes its first Olympic Games. But if you think you might spot three American students standing on the sidelines, I have two words for you:

No Way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb