China's end, 15-16 February, Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
February 16th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The end of China is approaching. It has been a good, though cold, start of the journey. We really believe that we've learned a lot and gained some worldly experience; for example how to try to communicate without a language and going by the metro. Our haggling really has improved and we have become better at discovering scams. It really feels funny that it's only been two weeks since we left Sweden.

We're still staying at the Captain Hostel and because of it have made two new friends. The day before yesterday we met our new room mate Tim, a half Indian Londoner with the middle name Rajeev. Yesterday morning we had some really good bread from a street vendor for breakfast and tried to locate a good shopping area. Unfortunately we found a whole street where they only sold screws and tools, another where they sold iron bars and pipes in any size imaginable and one street with only planks. And we're not talking tiny little back alleys but big, long streets in the middle of town.

We met up with Tim for lunch and then went to the older part of Shanghai and tried to find a bazaar. It was not quite what we had expected, it was just a big touristy souvenier street. We headed instead to the market we had been to earlier. After almost getting lost on the way we stumbled upon it. Erik bought scarves for his sisters and all of us got some DVD:s. This time we actually got the price down to 5 yuan each.

We as usual crashed in the dormitory and slept for a few hours. For dinner we tried to get Dim Sum but we're not really sure we got it. It was exactly like everything we've eaten before, even though it said Dim Sum on the meny. A bit disappointing but at least cheap.

After dinner we tried to get a share of Shanghai's nightlife. It was very disappointing though; it was expensive and not many people out. The first bar we tried was a german one and more expensive than Sweden. Needless to say we didn't stay long. The other bar we went to was unfortunately full of prostitutes and not cheap either. We went back to the hostel bar where we met Emma, a half chinese Australian from Melbourne.

Together with Tim and Emma we bought some drinks at the convenience store. Erik and Tim actually bought a whole bottle of rice wine each to share. We were apparently a bit loud since the people in the room next door complained. Hannes went to bed at 2.30 while the others went out for a stroll to search for a new bar but ended up walking a few blocks

This morning was understandably a slow one. Erik was "resting" until 15:00 when he finally got up. Hannes strolled around town a bit while Erik rested, and got a new belt for almost 10 % of the original price. The rest of the day was spent watching skyscrapers and parks, and contemplating how to get a hold of much needed T-shirts and shorts. Since we have so little time left in Shanghai we're sorry to say that we probably won't be able to send stuff home.

Tomorrow is our last day in Shanghai and we will really try to get the stuff we need the most. The flight to Manila leaves Pudong airport at 0.55 am on Monday so our next entry will probably be written in the Philippine capital. We've finally managed to upload a few pictures, more to come. Enjoy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb