Shanghai - Day 85 & 86


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
June 3rd 2007
Published: June 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We regrettfully had to say goodbye to Yangshuo, but we are on our way to our next destination, Shanghai!

It was just a short flight and we arrived at the Shanghai domestic airport then headed to our hotel near the Bund. There is definitely a noticable difference in the air quality from our time out in the country in Yangshuo to the big city of Shanghai. Shortly after our arrival we sat down for an interesting lecture by local architect (expat) for a discussion on planning and development in Shanghai. It was very imformative and we really got our first taste of what top down planning was all about. After our talk we headed to M on the Bund for a cocktail overlooking the Pudong River and the Pudong Skyline.

The next day we had a meeting with EDAW in their Shanghai office. It was very interesting and we were presented with some of the amazing projects that are going on in and around the city. After our meeting we went to the Shanghai urban planning museum where we were dazzled by a virtual tour of Shanghai. There are a lot of improvements and expansion being made to the city. The most impressive display at the planning museum was the enormous model of Shanghai. It took up an entire floor of the building! After getting our moneys worth at the planning museum we decided to check out a few of the residential projects nearby that were reshaping the city. There is so much going on!

On our last night in Shanghai we went to see the Chinese acrobats. The show was amazing! There were some traditional art forms such as plate spinning, bike tricks, and gymnastics. There were also some impressive modern displays including the "ball of death" in which 5 motorcycles zoomed around in a huge, spherical steel cage. It was basically like the motorbike drivers in Vietnam, so we were not that phased...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



18th June 2007

Wow, the Pudong Night Skyline is fantastic. I also liked the nighttime Nanjing bridge. Somethin bout nightlights. And the incredible terracotta warriors, says a lot about the ancient culture. So cool.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb