Drink A Cup of Afternoon Tea


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
December 25th 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

One of the best leisure activities in Shanghai is sitting back in a nice coffee shop during the afternoon and watching city life. Perhaps it would be better to switch up the coffee or tea for a martini as the afternoon becomes the evening and Shanghai is home to a plethora of venues that make this transition smooth and uncomplicated. From a gated terrace and under the canopy of the evening sky, relaxing with friends in a cafe is one of the more pleasant aspects of life in Shanghai. In the bustling metropolis, taking some time to sit down and relax is essential, as is serene seclusion from the busy and noisy city from time to time.

New Heights
New Heights provides one of the best vantage points (and some of the best vintages, we might add) in Shanghai. The restaurant/bar is housed in Three on the Bund, which was set up in 1916 as the office building of the Shang Tianxiang Agency. In May 2004, however, the seven storied building became home to Giorgio Armani, Jean Georges, Laris, the 3D Music Salon, and New Heights. The tower pavilion of the New Heights on the top floor is completely transparent and divided into two sections. The restaurant is open 24 hours a day and provides a breathtaking ambience to take afternoon coffee and tea and evening cocktails.
Add: 7F, Three on the Bund, 3 Zhongshan 1st Road (E)

Bonomi Cafe, Moller Villa
Located in the Norwegian style Hengshan Moller Villa, Bonomi is a fairy tale garden cafe. Walking along the small pathway toward the inner courtyard, patrons will view Bonomi Cafe Italy facing the depth of the garden villa. A bronze horse is stands under the shade of the tree and the artifact has witnessed the decline and renovation of the mansion in modern history, and it was also once greatly adored by its original owner, Moller
Add: Inside Moller Villa Hotel, 30 Shanxi Road (S)

Colors Restaurant and Bar
If you want to enjoy European country life and a garden cafe during your afternoon tea break, Colors Restaurant and Bar in Rui Jin Hotel is a stellar choice. Colors, located in the shade of camphor trees and the pergola of wisteria and vines, surprises with their delectable small treats and pastoral outdoor seats. A short respite under the shade of a tree is a therapeutic experience and a great way to idle away a lazy afternoon.
Add: No. 11 Rui Jin Hotel, 118 Ruijin 2nd Road

Bali Laguna
This restaurant is famous for authentic spicy Indonesian dishes. The whole restaurant is made of wood and features a tropical atmosphere and outdoor seating. The courtyard is shaded by parasols and faces a calming green pool. At night the patio buzzes with activity and the venue is a great place to do some people watching, along with the neighboring waterscape. Many tourist attractions are nearby, such as Jing'an Temple, the Paramount Ballroom, and the Former Residence of Cai Yuanpei,. and are great options for those looking for a stroll.
Add: Inside Jing'an Park, 189 Huashan Road

Lapis Lazuli
A continental restaurant as it is, the internal decoration of Lapis Lazuli brings pleasant surprises to those who love traditional Chinese culture. The restaurant features a tranquil stream flowing down a wall and antique porcelain urns filled with lotuses. These elements create a serene and calming atmosphere ideal for intimate dining. Another key feature of the venue are the glass walls, which are inscribed with the classic poems of Cao Cao, an emperor during the Three Kingdoms Period. Lapis Lazuli offers international food and beverages and focuses on Italian food, classic French cuisine, and Southeast Asian cuisine. Fresh ingredients cooked with olive oil, spices, and wines compliment the contemporary health concepts that are beginning to become the norm in Shanghai. Sipping Chinese tea in the Western-style lounge and enjoying Chinese classical decoration while listening to fashionable Western pop music, the cosmopolitan image that Shanghai embodies comes to the forefront in this restaurant. Interestingly enough, the tables and chairs are made in the Lapis Lazuli Workshop and they can be purchased in the shop downstairs.
Add: 9 Dongping Road, Xuhui District

Coffee Shop Rose
Coffee Shop Rose is located in the Garden Hotel, an imposing building which reflects the fusion of Chinese traditional architectural and Western style. The hotel contains two rooms for afternoon tea on the ground floor: one is behind the lobby and the other is Coffee Shop Rose. Well preserved Western columns prop up the snow white ceilings and the room radiates with a gentle yellow light. Coffee Shop Rose provides a very elegant and luxurious ambiance and features a buffet and afternoon tea including savory Japanese desserts and beverages.
Maoming Road (S) is a famous shopping street boasting a long history and the cafe inside the Garden Hotel could serve as a great stopping point and respite from a long day of shopping.
Add: 1F Okura Garden Hotel, 58 Maoming Road (S)

Kathleen's 5 Rooftop Restaurant
Sitting on the balcony under a glass rooftop, diners can enjoy the famous Nanjing Road nightscape. An age-old clock tower is not far away from the restaurant and sitting in its berth the ticking of Old Shanghai can be heard if diners listen close enough; nostalgia and modernism intermingle at Kathleen's 5. This high-end continental restaurant uses ingredients from Southern Europe and provides great options food for both meat-lovers and vegetarians. The chilled crab meat dish is a playful little number that is served with grapefruit, avocado, and mango puree. Among the mains, the seared black sea bass is accompanied by a nicely matching shitake-asparagus risotto that positively dances upon the tongue. The real winner on the menu, however, is the roasted baby lamb loin on steamed couscous. Besides weekend set meals, Kathleen's also provides simple meals at lunch time for white collar workers coming from office buildings nearby.
Add: 5F Shanghai Art Museum, 325 Nanjing Road (W)





Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb