Ancient Water Town: Exploring Zhujiajiao


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
March 25th 2021
Published: March 25th 2021
Edit Blog Post

24th March - Ancient Water Town: Exploring Zhujiajiao #heygo http://www.heygo.com

Zhujiajiao Water Town is situated forty seven kilometers away from Shanghai. It is a typical and ancient water town in Qingpu District, south of the Yangtze River, which has almost 1,700 years of history. Zhujiajiao, also called “The Venice of Shanghai”, features lovely waterways, curved rock bridges, old streets cemented with stone, and over 10,000 buildings dating back to the Ming (1368-1644) and Qing dynasties (1644-1911).



The village prospered through clothing and rice businesses.



Fangsheng Bridge one of 36 bridges, Built in the 17th century, the 70-meter-long Fangsheng Bridge is now the most well-known landmark in Zhujiajiao. Fangsheng means release animals in Chinese. Local people believe releasing animals means you are merciful to animals and Buddha will also be merciful to you.



There are 9 ancient streets and as we wondered through many of them, darting into alleys between buildings to take a look at the views along the canal.

It was a nice change from the modern skyline of Shanghai with traditional traders and craftsmen.



We saw one lady creating a beautiful hand embroidered picture, another
elderly lady was sitting outside the temple knitting baby booties. Food vendors were preparing local delicacies, some getting ready for the Ching Ming festival (Tomb Sweeping Day).

Outside a restaurant the mynah birds was saying “Have you eaten yet” in mandarin of course which made our guide laugh as she replied.

When stopping for us to take postcard photos Apple would count 1,2,3,4,5 go. I asked if she could count in Chinese and she kindly obliged which all added to the atmosphere.At the end of the tour she sang a beautiful song on one of the bridges.

It was a very pretty place but when the tourists return it will be very busy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement












Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb