happy Easter from China


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
April 1st 2018
Published: April 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

First full day in Shanghai, our friends arrived safely after a delayed flight late last night. Today we had a full day tour visiting sites in and around Shanghai.

Firstly the water village know as the Venice of the East where the people live along the canals and Asian gondolas ply their trade, still smoggy even though an hour or more out of Shanghai, lots of security as the expected locals to converge early. They were right, it be came quite crowded early afternoon.

We went for a ride on a gondola up the canals then wandered the laneways filled with shops giving a market atmosphere. Some interesting food for sale, octopus on skewers, chicken feet on skewers just to name a few. The people watching was amazing, every shape and size of mankind.

The guide was excellent so we heard a lot about the history and the education system in Shanghai and how life had changed for the local people over the century and told us the story of her parents and grandparents under the rule of dictators.

From there we visited the Bund, a very pretty and surprisingly clean city, the gardens around the city are magnificent, the tulips are multi coloured and co-planted for effect. The bund is like a promenade near the river surrounded by classy restaurants and high end shops. It is obviously a popular spot with the locals. From there we visited the Yu Gardens, ancient trees, buildings and history, fascinating place and well worth a visit.

The shops around the gardens are fabulous, I could have spent all day there!! Lots of interesting purchases that Tony has labelled "crap"?

Great to see the Eagles had a win interstate, even if I didn't tip them ?

We had a Chinese dinner that was very interesting, a walk around the local area admiring the light shows and the techno colours and signs, a vibrant place at night, but we felt very safe everywhere we went.

Off on the cruise tomorrow!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb