Shanghai


Advertisement
China's flag
Asia » China » Shanghai
November 2nd 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we just walked around Shanghai and Pudong. First we took the subway to Pudong. We wanted to see where the new 101 story building that is going up and possibly go to the aquarium. We nixed the aquarium when we saw the size of it compared to the price of it. There is a lot of new construction on the Pudong side of the water, with commercial, retail and residential use. We decided to take the Tourist tunnel back to the Shanghai side of the water. It is supposed to be a light show as you travel under the river. It is the cheesiest tourist trap we have done to date…..save your money and don’t go. We then started walking towards Old Town Shanghai….it quite a trek when you go my way. Obviously I do not like to look at the map and we traveled through the not nice sections of town, which Scott says I always do to him. We finally arrived at what they call the Old Town and were a bit disappointed in what we found. A few building may still be old, but most of it has all been rebuilt into a Chinese mall tourist trap. It is in the Chinese traditional style but all new with even Starbucks and McDonalds. While walking through every shop owner is trying to lure you in with the promise of a great deal. We walked through from one end to the other and then decided to head to the hotel for dinner. We walked back to the metro once again seeing the not nice sections of town. I will say we probably see more than the typical tourists as we wonder our way around trying to find the way without help. It is always an adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.089s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb