#60 Teaching at Taizhou Teachers College, China ( XI'AN: The Terra Cotta Army of Xi'an)


Advertisement
Asia » China » Shaanxi » Xi'an
November 10th 2006
Published: November 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Few sight in the world are more awe-inspiring than seeing over 7,ooo warriors standing in battle positions, pretending to defend their emperor in his "world-beyond". Perhaps he anticipated, that in his next life, he would forever be haunted by the millions of souls, whom he once offered and ferried to the underworld with his brutality. Though Qin Shihuang became king at the age of 13, his pow... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

pit #3, photo 2pit #3, photo 2
pit #3, photo 2

Close-up: One group of chariot occupants and its four horses. Over the last 2,250 years, all the wooden chariot have detoriated.
pit #3, photo 3pit #3, photo 3
pit #3, photo 3

It is easier to imagine the size of the soldiers when comparing them to the visitor above.
pit #3, photo 4pit #3, photo 4
pit #3, photo 4

A glimpse into a vanished empire
bronze chariotbronze chariot
bronze chariot

One of two surviving "bronze" chariots, and its 4 "bronze" horses have been unearthed and are exhibited.
horse and riderhorse and rider
horse and rider

Terracotta cavalry leaves only its former colors to the imagination.
ArcherArcher
Archer

Though the wooden-bow has decomposed, this slim archer's footing is more secure with the square shoe-soles.
single officersingle officer
single officer

This officer has been lovingly restored by archeologists for close-up inspection.
Angel and motherAngel and mother
Angel and mother

Angel and her mother Didy made the visit to Xi'an a wonderful and very personal experience, and I will always be grateful.
The emperor's concubines are celebrating his return.The emperor's concubines are celebrating his return.
The emperor's concubines are celebrating his return.

It reminded me of scenes from Key West, Fl.
True story and reported in the China News:True story and reported in the China News:
True story and reported in the China News:

Only a few weeks before my visit, a "young" German, teaching in China and a self-professed Terracotta-Warior-Afficionado, had quite authentically costumed as one of the 7,000 Terracotta Warriors, and he stood for hours among them. After much time, he was finally located among thousands of look-alike, stone soldiers. The German teacher was sent home, packing. :-)) (true story!)
Guarding the Museum of History in Xi'anGuarding the Museum of History in Xi'an
Guarding the Museum of History in Xi'an

Quite imposing and carved from a single stone thousands of years ago, the man to the left dwarfs in stature.
Emperor QinShihuangEmperor QinShihuang
Emperor QinShihuang

Representation of Emperor QinShihuang, First Emperor to unify China more than 2,200 years ago, and architect of the "ghostly army of terracotta warriors."
The Terra Cotta WarriorsThe Terra Cotta Warriors
The Terra Cotta Warriors

One of the great moments of my life was to stand in command of the 7,000 stone warriors of Xi'an.



10th November 2006

great photos!
great photos schneider! it's wonderful that they let you take pictures where they usually don't. you go to all these places and monuments (such as this one) that i've only seen on television and hope to see someday. Thanks for keeping in touch with all of us. We miss you IMMENSELY and hope to somehow see you soon. Ms. Van Wyk and I (she's back at Gables this year) were talking about how much your presence and energy is missed at the school. Love you :)
12th November 2006

that's so cool! I've always wanted to see those statue soldiers!!
14th November 2006

That was pretty cool...
Hey Schneider! They're right, those pictures *are* amazing. It's so cool to see history come alive before your eyes isnt it? Keep on documenting your journey..its quite a fascinating one.
22nd November 2006

wow
Reading your blog is very fun. Have you considered writting a book? The pictures are amazing.
23rd November 2006

weee
i love you :)
3rd June 2013

Terracotta Warriors
I know this was a while back that you wrote this article but I have to say - it is one of the most interesting one that I have read. Have you written a book about this subject?

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb